• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engineered Garments FW 2012

Dino19

Reaction score
Thanks for that ^,,,, sadly the Bureau doesn't carry XS, I'm hoping theres a stock list stateside carrying xs in this but I may just be SOL....
Not so easy to find xs outside of japan. Bureau used to carry xs 2-3 seasons ago but not anymore. Some jackets / outerwears, not even s.

You can try Gary Drinkwaters & I got most of my xs from him.

amin

Reaction score
really liking this season's EG collection. waiting on delivery for navy and olive whipcord bed fords but i am looking to buy a couple more jackets.

Has anyone tried on the type 5 jacket? measurements look very small and i am thinking whether i should size up.

Has anyone seen this in the flesh? How is the fabric and can it be used a layer or is it more of a jacket?

Also seen the bedford in homespun/herringbone, can anyone confirm they are all the same?

http://www.tresbienshop.com/brand/engineered-garments/bedford-jacket-grey

http://www.contextclothing.com/item.php?id=3328

http://store.silver-and-gold.com/?pid=48418181

Last edited:

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried that knit jacket one the other day and really liked it. The sleaves are a little long, but I had to size up to XL in this one. I was looking at it to serve almost like a cardigan sweater, had the sleeves fit me better I probably would have gotten it.

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried that knit jacket one the other day and really liked it. The sleaves are a little long, but I had to size up to XL in this one. I was looking at it to serve almost like a cardigan sweater, had the sleeves fit me better I probably would have gotten it.

Is it smaller in the chest than normal? Curious about sizing.
Wish they made the knit in navy!

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not too small in the chest really, Im an XL in most of their knits and blazer style jackets this season. Large in shirts though. Arms were really long though.

Shingles

Reaction score

looks good. i got my first miner shirt in the ss chambray but the flap closure sort of bothered me, gave me too much room in the neck. i am definitely going to stick with the workshirts as they're perfect for me.

Thank you.

how does the miner shirt fit compared to the work shirt?

Apart from what Lawlercon said I'd say slightly wider in the shoulders (slightly!), otherwise it's pretty much the same. No reason to size up or down from your usual EG size.

Looks good. What is the jacket you're wearing in the pic? Not EG, right?

Thank you. Yes, it's the SS11 cotton Bedford.

Tororo

Reaction score
I went to the EG store in Aoyama as well as Nepenthes in Shibuya today and tried on a couple of jackets. Sadly, all the blazer-type jackets and the shawl collar didn't look good on me at all. I've been following EG since 2005, and the jackets have never been so short in the body as this season. I found them to be comically short, especially the shawl collar which I was looking to buy. I'm only 6.1 (185cm), so not exactly freakishly tall, but I can't seem to pull off this length, even when sizing up. It's a shame since I like everything about the outerwear save the length.
I wonder what the idea behind this is - cater to the Japanese market? Sorry for venting, but I think some of Daiki's design decisions are simply odd.

Edd

Reaction score

I went to the EG store in Aoyama as well as Nepenthes in Shibuya today and tried on a couple of jackets. Sadly, all the blazer-type jackets and the shawl collar didn't look good on me at all. I've been following EG since 2005, and the jackets have never been so short in the body as this season. I found them to be comically short, especially the shawl collar which I was looking to buy. I'm only 6.1 (185cm), so not exactly freakishly tall, but I can't seem to pull off this length, even when sizing up. It's a shame since I like everything about the outerwear save the length.
I wonder what the idea behind this is - cater to the Japanese market? Sorry for venting, but I think some of Daiki's design decisions are simply odd.

I agree with you, wanted a cord lansdown but looks really short, looking at style pics looks like your supposed to wear long shirt hanging below jackets. Bit of a scruffy look though

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not so easy to find xs outside of japan. Bureau used to carry xs 2-3 seasons ago but not anymore. Some jackets / outerwears, not even s.

You can try Gary Drinkwaters & I got most of my xs from him.

I heard that ^^^, my main beef with eg/wwm has always been the scarcity of xs's,,,, I've done ok in the past getting some here and there and I've also gotten some from Gary but since he's not carrying the navy camo bedford this season I thought I'd look for it myself before I ask him to see if he can get a one for me, I also think the latter might be tough since I'm thinking demand is high for this coat and/or eg might not have produced that many in xs to begin with.

Anyway thanks for sharing and if you're also an xs look me up whenever you want to get rid of some of your stuff, maybe we can do some xs eg/wwm trades in the future......

Last edited:

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

You shouldn't have passed on this jacket. The sleeves are easily alterable. My observation over the years of the S&D crowd has been that they have reluctance to seek out proper tailoring of their garments.
I'm not sure if this is the anti- I don't give a **** about how this really looks or a lack of knowledge about the tailoring process. You can have tailoring done at a marginal cost for most alterations but the key is to find a reputable tailor. My suggestion has always been to find the the best men's clothing store in your area and ask them if they take in outside alterations or could they suggest a tailor they suggest to their customers. Then, check them out on Yelp or some type of chat like that. If any Boston area members need alterations, we can gladly assist you with any alteration (slimming shirts would be our exception). If you need fit advise, post a picture or send me an email with some pictures and I'll give you my best advise on what needs to done to make that article fit better.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're right Gary, that would be a pretty easy fix. Problem is I don't have a tailor here that I trust, I've looked and tried a couple with mediocre results so far. I did think about that as these sleeves look particularly easy to hem so I may still consider it. I definitely don't consider tailoring on most of my clothes and I probably should in a few cases at least, if I could find a good tailor I trust I think I would end up doing that fine tuning of my garments a lot more.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics