• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

End of an Era

Zegnamtl

Reaction score
I was deeply saddened the other day as the hockey game between the Habs and Philly was about to start, I noticed that the lower level was a sea of red. There was a day, not that long ago, when almost every man would have been dressed as the two here, but now the rink is full of in your face gladiator style pump up the crowd crap, flashing signs and team jerseys. RIP: The Forum, (the old building) the last home of a major sport event where men would wear a jacket and tie. Molson family traditions (the old owners) Modest grace, limit the flash!

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
I take home the same subway line that goes to Yankee Stadium. The people going to the night games wear Yankee shirts and/or hats. Guys and gals included.

I wonder how, where, and when attending a game became a costume party?
confused.gif

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you two geezers lament the passage of the stagecoach, the corset for the women....etc... that sort of stuff?

Come on, get with the times. Who wants to spill beer on his suit?

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark Seitelman
I wonder how, where, and when attending a game became a costume party?
confused.gif

Unless you head to the game straight from the office, I think intentionally donning a suit to go would be costumey. I think most people wear jerseys and caps as a show of support for their team. Makes sense to me.

medwards

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For the final four or five home games of the Capitals season, everyone was asked to wear red. I'm afraid my closet is sans red suits, jackets, or dress shirts. Sometimes you just have to go with the flow.
smile.gif

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like nice clothing. I'm also a hockey nut. There is no way in hell I'm wearing one of my nice suits to the game. Besides, I'm not there only as a spectator, but also to show support to the team. That's why I have my jersey, and my green croc watch band, and why I'm usually hoarse after a game.

sherwin

Reaction score
Do you really want to yell and scream in support of your team, in those little seats and the dirty floors, in a nice suit while the guy behind you is spilling his beer all over the place? Come on. This era ended long ago.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sherwin
Do you really want to yell and scream in support of your team, in those little seats and the dirty floors, in a nice suit while the guy behind you is spilling his beer all over the place? Come on. This era ended long ago.

I have two books that cover the history of the University of North Dakota's hockey team and one book on the Stanley Cup. In leafing through and seeing pics from the 30s through the 60s, almost nobody is wearing a suit or tie. Those who are are (1.) members of the press, (2.) coaches, or (3.) old. It was not fashionable to wear jerseys back then, but most people didn't wear suits, either.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I won't even wear decent shoes to collegiate or NFL games unless I'm in a suite. Otherwise, the over spirited fans around me are likely to spill all sorts of drink and food on me, not that I don't act a fool occasionally.

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every time I've shown up wearing something nice to a event like that its been a big mistake. I've ruined shoes and wasted money having stuff cleaned that hindsight said should have stayed home.

I'd rather wear the jersey and show support for the team all the same.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore a suit to the last hockey game I attended at the United Center in Chicago; Took the elevator right up to our box, avoiding the riffraff altogether.
blush.gif

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zegnamtl
I was deeply saddened the other day as the hockey game between the Habs and Philly was about to start, I noticed that the lower level was a sea of red.

There was a day, not that long ago, when almost every man would have been dressed as the two here, but now the rink is full of in your face gladiator style pump up the crowd crap, flashing signs and team jerseys.

RIP:

The Forum, (the old building)
the last home of a major sport event where men would wear a jacket and tie.

Molson family traditions (the old owners)
Modest grace, limit the flash!

The other day, I was watching a baseball game and there was a rain delay. They showed highlights of old World Series. I was surprised that as recent as the '71 World Series (Pittsburgh-Baltimore) people wore coats and ties to the park. It looked great.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know. I think good casualwear is good for a game. The only people who wear suits seem to be people who came directly from a business meeting. I wouldn't want to ruin my dress shoes at a game.

I guess a casual beater suit without a tie would suffice.

Zegnamtl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Do you two geezers lament the passage of the stagecoach, the corset for the women....etc... that sort of stuff?

Come on, get with the times. Who wants to spill beer on his suit?

Lee,

Get with the times......

As I said, sport has been changed (recently in the case in the Habs) to a beat em, knock em, sock em entertainment event where people act like morons!

In Boston during game 3, a Bostonian walked up to the edge of the balcony and relieved himself over the edge of the balcony!

You are right, I would much rather wear a Team Jersey than one of my good suits to get pissed on by a drunken asshole !!

Zegnamtl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
I have two books that cover the history of the University of North Dakota's hockey team and one book on the Stanley Cup. In leafing through and seeing pics from the 30s through the 60s, almost nobody is wearing a suit or tie. Those who are are (1.) members of the press, (2.) coaches, or (3.) old. It was not fashionable to wear jerseys back then, but most people didn't wear suits, either.
I knew Montreal was a hold out to the trend of wearing a team jersey, what amazes me, is how fast the city fell. It seems like this season, the drive for the 25th Cup was a wave to big to stop. The entire experience of being at the rink feels different. This is a snap shot of a picture that hangs in my kitchen, the man on the left is my father, with a Nikon and a Rolliflex, the year is 1957, I believe. 5 Cups in 5 years!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics