• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Email from Chan please help SF

2themoon

Reaction score
SF,

I emailed chan to get fitted in DC @ July 28. I asked them that once I get fitted for the original suit and its made and shipped if there needs to be readjustments can I goto chicago to see chan in october?

I got back this email and now im confused.

Dear Moon:

As mentioned in my previous email,there is no size fitting service for mail order but we will make other efforts to make up for this shortcoming.

However, in case you still like to have fitting then we are afraid that we have to charge you US$200 per fitting for shipping and handling charges for sending the basted suit to you and you require to bring the basted suit to meet our representative. After fitting is done, you will have to send it back to us for making.

Further, if multi-fitting is required, then the best way is for you to come to HK in person and stay for a couple of days or so which is time needed by us to complete the suit.

Please confirm if you would like to have a basted fitting in our next trip in Oct? If yes,please tell our representatives when you place the order so that we could arrange accordingly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I figured I would goto D.C get fitted for a suit and have it mailed to me. And if there needs to be adjustments I would just see chan on his next tour in chicago. Is this not how the process works? Could someone please explain the process to me?

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

SF, I emailed chan to get fitted in DC @ July 28. I asked them that once I get fitted for the original suit and its made and shipped if there needs to be readjustments can I goto chicago to see chan in october? I got back this email and now im confused. Dear Moon:
As mentioned in my previous email,there is no size fitting service for mail order but we will make other efforts to make up for this shortcoming.

However, in case you still like to have fitting then we are afraid that we have to charge you US$200 per fitting for shipping and handling charges for sending the basted suit to you and you require to bring the basted suit to meet our representative. After fitting is done, you will have to send it back to us for making.

Further, if multi-fitting is required, then the best way is for you to come to HK in person and stay for a couple of days or so which is time needed by us to complete the suit.

Please confirm if you would like to have a basted fitting in our next trip in Oct? If yes,please tell our representatives when you place the order so that we could arrange accordingly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I figured I would goto D.C get fitted for a suit and have it mailed to me. And if there needs to be adjustments I would just see chan on his next tour in chicago. Is this not how the process works? Could someone please explain the process to me?
I don't work with Chan, but your previous thread suggested that Chan does not normally do multiple fittings- they make the suit, and you can have adjustments made to the completed suit if needed. Most tailors do not do this, especially for first time clients. There are usually multiple fittings prior to completing the suit. This includes a basted fitting (where nothing is really sewn together), and depending on the tailor, often several follow up fittings. If this is the case it sounds as if they want to charge you for shipping and handling for each of the fittings that you are requesting prior to the completion of the suit as this is not their standard. Not sure why they simply can't bring it to the next location where you can meet them. Anyhow, if you are okay with not having any fittings, maybe you can ask them if there is an alteration fee if the completed suit does not fit properly?

2themoon

Reaction score
I am just confused on why chan is coming to d.c from Hong Kong if they are telling me they can't fit me in one session. Isn't that the entire reason you come to d.c so you can fit someone in one session?

Balfour

Reaction score
^ I have no experience with Chan, but as jerrybrowne explained for a proper bespoke suit it is typical to have multiple fittings. It's not very clear what question you are posing: in the OP you ask about multiple fittings, yet in the above post you ask why a single fitting will not suffice.

Before launching into the bespoke process, it might be worth doing some further research. There will be all sorts of issues on which you may (or may not) wish to have input, concerning e.g. the style and cut of your suit.

Last edited:

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SF,

I emailed chan to get fitted in DC @ July 28. I asked them that once I get fitted for the original suit and its made and shipped if there needs to be readjustments can I goto chicago to see chan in october?

I got back this email and now im confused.

Dear Moon:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I figured I would goto D.C get fitted for a suit and have it mailed to me. And if there needs to be adjustments I would just see chan on his next tour in chicago. Is this not how the process works? Could someone please explain the process to me?
This is hilarious. What part don't you understand? You'll just have to take a quick trip to Hong Kong to get your suit fitted...no big deal, LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bonggoy

Reaction score
Hongkong travelling tailors bespoke process is different than your standard bespoke process. Think of it as MTM. Here's a typical process:

1. You meet them.
2. You select fabric, style and get measured.
3. A few months later, you will receive a finish garment.

Chan also offer a basted fitting. They charges USD200 extra for that. Here's the process:

1. You meet them.
3. Receive a basted suit/coat.
4. Setup a schedule to meet them.
5. Bring basted suit for fitting
6. Send them the basted suit.
7. Receive suit.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the flat $200/fitting might be new. I knew that Chan would mail your suit to you for a fitting while on tour but my understanding was they only charged you for shipping. Then, of course, you had to ship it back to them for the work on your own dime.

What they're really saying is that a proper bespoke suit with a basted and forward fitting will cost you an extra $500 or so. Chan does very nice work but you will still need fittings, especially for your first order. Otherwise, it's just particularly hit-or-miss MTM.

2themoon

Reaction score
Hongkong travelling tailors bespoke process is different than your standard bespoke process. Think of it as MTM. Here's a typical process:

1. You meet them.
3. A few months later, you will receive a finish garment.

Chan also offer a basted fitting. They charges USD200 extra for that. Here's the process:

1. You meet them.
3. Receive a basted suit/coat.
4. Setup a schedule to meet them.
5. Bring basted suit for fitting
6. Send them the basted suit.
7. Receive suit.

Thank you for this. This helps clear up the matter.

With I was confused about the process was I was told to only buy one suit at a time. What is the difference of buying one suit or three suits if its just a sent to you made to measure suit?
How will I know if it fits correctly without having chan look it over again?

My plan
1. Fly to D.C to see chan
2. Get fitted select material for 1 suit but make mental note of other materials I would want once first suit came in
3. receive suit.
4. fly to chicago in october to see chan again on his next tour with purchased suit
5. let them see how it fits
6. purchase more suits

But I guess they don't ever want to see the first suit again once they ship it to me?

- I hope it fits the first time
-I won't even know if it doesn't hence why im going to go see a professional tailor.
-Can't understand why they wouldnt want me to take the suit to chicago for them to see in OCT.

Dempsy444

Reaction score
I've never used Chan and didn't realize their process worked this way. I know they have a good reputation and the prices are much less than the bespoke I've had elsewhere. A colleague of mine wears Chan and his suits are very well fitted and proprtioned though i don't see much shaping. Overall, from what I've seen it is pretty impressive for the money.

If you don't have a high quality bespoke option in your area then Chan makes sense. Realistically, they'll probably make you a much better suit then the average custom suit maker in the US.

If you do go with Chan, definitely pay for the extra fitting. It's worth the $200. I definitely agree that you should only commission one suit your first time. This way you can apply any improvements to your next commission.

Last edited:

sm31

Reaction score

My plan
1. Fly to D.C to see chan
2. Get fitted select material for 1 suit but make mental note of other materials I would want once first suit came in
3. receive suit.
4. fly to chicago in october to see chan again on his next tour with purchased suit
5. let them see how it fits
6. purchase more suits

But I guess they don't ever want to see the first suit again once they ship it to me? 

I don't know where you get this impression. Their website even encourages this ("Please bring the last suit fitted by us in order for us to gauge alterations in measurement as well as pattern. We aim to keep our records updated frequently so that garments will come out fitted as perfectly as possible every time.")!

Your plan is perfectly fine. Just don't call step 2 "fitting"; at that point, you're being measured.

And maybe do a little research reading an existing thread, rather than create a new one with questions that are already answered?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads