• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eggs Benedict

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Made this for breakfast this morning...inspired by this thread. It is not a real Eggs Benedict as I realized that we had no ham in the house so I fried up a few sausages on the side. I also put a big slab of cheese as my wife likes it that way. The hollandaise colour is so dark as Japanese eggs tend to have very orangey yolks. It was good.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those of you in the D.C. area, or those visiting, I had the finest Eggs Benedict I've ever experienced while staying at the Fairmont Hotel. The eggs could not have been more perfectly cooked, the ham had just the right level of saltiness and the muffin...crisp at the edges...moist and tender inside. My one complaint...a bit more lemon would have helped the hollandaise. The truly amazing thing is that they managed this while serving them on the breakfast buffet which would normally be the last place I'd expect to find perfectly cooked eggs of any variety. I forget the name of the restaurant, but it is right off the Fairmont's lobby.

c3cubed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter

Made this for breakfast this morning...inspired by this thread. It is not a real Eggs Benedict as I realized that we had no ham in the house so I fried up a few sausages on the side. I also put a big slab of cheese as my wife likes it that way. The hollandaise colour is so dark as Japanese eggs tend to have very orangey yolks. It was good.

That is true about Japanese egg yolk - my first time there, I was shocked to see how almost orange in colour it was, and I asked if they put food colouring into it.
Apparently not - it all has to do with the way the hens are fed which is I was told, completely organic, without hormone enhancement and free range. The dark yellow is the way it's supposed to look.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's not just organic vs. chemicals-- it depends on what grains they actually eat, and what else in the mix. Corn-fed will be a different color from wheat-fed.

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
Are there any chain restaurants that make a good eggs benedict? I learned the other day that Bob Evans fails horribly. Perhaps First Watch?

Joseph K. Bank

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Wayfarer
Are there any chain restaurants that make a good eggs benedict? I learned the other day that Bob Evans fails horribly. Perhaps First Watch?

I cannot recommend the Eggs Benedict at Dennys. It's surprising considering how good their Cinnamon Swirl French Toast is.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Why not just make it yourself? It's really not difficult.

Joseph K. Bank

Reaction score

Originally Posted by GQgeek
Why not just make it yourself? It's really not difficult.

GQ, have you tried making it with Pork Roll (Taylor Ham) in place of the Canadian Bacon?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joseph K. Bank
GQ, have you tried making it with Pork Roll (Taylor Ham) in place of the Canadian Bacon?
I had a poached egg on top of duck scrapple pretty recently. It had no hollandaise sauce, but was very good.

Joseph K. Bank

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I had a poached egg on top of duck scrapple pretty recently. It had no hollandaise sauce, but was very good.

I have never heard of duck scrapple, do you know if it was a Habbersett product?

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had my first one today, inspired by this thread, at a local restaurant.

It was ok, not ok-ok but good-ok. The sauce was stronger than I thought and unfortunately when I poked the egg it did not bleed =/ So I'm not sure if I had a good quality meal or not.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
eggsbenedictwj5.jpg
This would be my first attempt ever at eggs benedict and there's a few things I'd like to point out, most importantly though, I learned an invaluable lesson when it comes to cooking, FOLLOWING THE DIRECTIONS. Not so much the proportions, but the order... I'll get to that later. Anyways, my usual approach to cooking is to throw stuff together and pray. I call this a success, since I usually have trouble cooking pasta and where microwaving something is borderline too much effort. I'm proud of my work damnit! 1.) It's english muffin bread, pretty good stuff. A little big though. 2.) This was my first time poaching an egg, ever. I think it worked out ok. One egg broke it's yolk and ended up a total disaster. The white came off and floated on the top
confused.gif
However one ended up pretty good, the yolk was nice and liquid as I broke it. Wow that really does maker a difference! The 3rd egg was inbetween, a little solid, but still a still gooey. 3.) ******** up on the hollandaise sauce big time. What you see was actually my second attempt. The first time.. I didn't think for a second and poured the egg into the saucepan first. The result was some disgusting chunky mixture that I had to throw away instantly. Too much butter too. However with my second attempt, I had 2 eggs left (actually 3 but one had already been boiled, wtf!). I cracked the second egg over the sink, trying to remove the white, but then it slipped and fell down. ****. I had to make do with one egg so as you can see, there was barely enough for even one. Also I left it a little thick, which is ok considering this is my first attempt. The sauce was quite tangy, which I liked, because I added a LOT of lemon but it worked out great. Though I'm not quite sure how a proper hollandaise sauce is supposed to taste. 4.) Yum, added chopped up bacon bits. Was great. Love to keep experimenting with adding new things. Overall though I'm quite happy about the end result. Tasty, filling, and I loved the way the broken yolk goo added to the texture of the product. At first I considered an easier alternative to poaching but after having one that worked great, I decided to keep it up (just learn to poach better). Also I will follow order more carefully. I usually just wing everything and I got it right with the proportions this time though, in fact the recipe actually screwed me up.

cowboyjack

Reaction score
Melt a stick of butter in a small sauce pan. Keep it warm.

Three egg yolks, the juice of one lemon, a pinch of salt and cayenne in a blender.

Start the blender and while running, add the warm butter in a steady stream.

Easy breezy quick and easy hollandaise that'll make you cry "mama."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads