• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

EG 82 compared to EG 888 fit

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't find anything with search. Do the EG 82 last and 888 last fit the same, or does one tend to be fuller than the other?

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Fit the same for me.

oroy38

Reaction score
82 last is the 888 with a rounded toe rather than the squared toe. They should fit the same.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oroy38
82 last is the 888 with a rounded toe rather than the squared toe. They should fit the same.

Don't think this is true. I am pretty sure this is true for the 82 compared to the 88. The 888 is an adaptation of the 88.

I don't wear the same size in the 888 as the 82. The 82 is more narrow for me.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This might be helpful:

Originally Posted by tlmusic
Here's an explanation of the Edward Green lasts by Tony Gaziano. For those that don't know, he designed the 888 and 82 lasts, and certainly worked extensively with the others. This is taken from the London Lounge Site posted November 7, 2005. I hope this is OK to post it here, since I don't know how to link directly to it.

"Hi Guys

Just to clarify, the 606, 202 are the same family and the 888,82 last are the same family, the last that was produced for Fosters was the 88 last and the 32,33 last were the parents of the 202,606.

so the EG last order goes like this.

first the 32 round toe last
second the 33 square toe version of the 32
third the 202, adapted 32 to fit better
fourth the 606 square toe version of 202
fifth 808 elegant square toe based on the 88 but did not fit well
sixth 89 developed for R.Lauren as a better fitting 808
seventh 888 bespoke looking last developed from 202 but longer and narrower toe box
eighth 82 round toe based on 888

ther have been other lasts produced by EG but mostly for other customers, not EG core range.

there are also numerous slip-on last, but there development history is not as striaght forward.

Tony"

oroy38

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
I stand corrected. Thanks. That helps. For some reasons the 888 and the 82 don't fit me the same. The instep seems higher on the 888.

Sometimes it depends on the shoe as well and it varies with every pair. I've tried C&Js from the 348 last that sometimes have fit a little differently simply because of the style of the shoe and because of variations within standard deviations of construction.

Anachronist

Reaction score
Dear All,

Reinvigorating this thread as it fits well to an imminent challenge I'm facing: I have the opportunity to obtain an EG Malvern 4 in the 888 last in 10.5 F width and am wondering if it will fit me. I presently own two pairs of EGs, a Beaulieu and a Dover in the 82 last, E width and also 10.5. Both fit pretty snug like a sock, but not not uncomfortable when putting them on. Only after a long day with swollen feet I'd consider them bordering on tight. What's your view: will the 888 in the same size, but one width up fit or be too loose?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Cheers,
André

PatchedUp

Reaction score
Dear All,

Reinvigorating this thread as it fits well to an imminent challenge I'm facing: I have the opportunity to obtain an EG Malvern 4 in the 888 last in 10.5 F width and am wondering if it will fit me. I presently own two pairs of EGs, a Beaulieu and a Dover in the 82 last, E width and also 10.5. Both fit pretty snug like a sock, but not not uncomfortable when putting them on. Only after a long day with swollen feet I'd consider them bordering on tight. What's your view: will the 888 in the same size, but one width up fit or be too loose?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Cheers,
André
For me personally, like Rebel222, the 82 fits slightly snugger given the same width compared with the 888. For me, the difference isn't huge and I would still wear the same width for both lasts, however I would suspect that the F may be a little too wide for you. If you don't try it you will never know, it would be worth trying it and seeing. You could alwayspost it back if it doesn't fit as well as you would like.

Anachronist

Reaction score
For me personally, like Rebel222, the 82 fits slightly snugger given the same width compared with the 888. For me, the difference isn't huge and I would still wear the same width for both lasts, however I would suspect that the F may be a little too wide for you. If you don't try it you will never know, it would be worth trying it and seeing. You could alwayspost it back if it doesn't fit as well as you would like.

Sorry for the late reply. Wanted to thank you for your explanation! I couldn't resist and decided to bite the bullet and am now waiting for the shoes and will report back once I have them.

Main driver was the experience a few weeks back stepping out of my Beaulieus one evening being happy to take them off because they felt so tight... something that would never have struck me 10 years ago when I bought them. Wonder if feet grow over time or flatten out because of increased... wait, no, I don't think I even want to go down that stream of thought ;-)

PatchedUp

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply. Wanted to thank you for your explanation! I couldn't resist and decided to bite the bullet and am now waiting for the shoes and will report back once I have them.

Main driver was the experience a few weeks back stepping out of my Beaulieus one evening being happy to take them off because they felt so tight... something that would never have struck me 10 years ago when I bought them. Wonder if feet grow over time or flatten out because of increased... wait, no, I don't think I even want to go down that stream of thought ;-)
No problem, I hope they fit and will be keen to find out how you get on with them.

Anachronist

Reaction score
Here we go, a happy man reporting back. The shoes arrived today and fit perfectly (deep sigh of relief and joy)!

What was interesting, the box had next to the handwritten F888 a sticker with FS 10.5 on it. Could it be that FS stands for a smaller F? Not sure ...

The fit is just a smidgen roomier than my E82 EGs (it's really only a tad), but by no means loose, just that bit of difference between a comfortable and the slightly tightish fit of my Beaulieus... they feel just right. The overall feel is however pretty much the same between the 888 and 82 with just a little more wiggle room in the toebox due to the square front... no surprise as the last shape and length is identical with exception of the different front. The lack in significant size difference may of course be attributable to the fact that I'm comparing new to worn-in shoes. I still recall however, when I ordered my Beaulieus at EG in London, how the gentleman in the store insisted on the very snug (I even dare say tight) fit, so we'll see how these new shoes play out. But for now I'm a very happy owner of a pair of striking Malvern 4 Spectators in chestnut antique and white calf, which will look "roaring twenties" with a pair of off-white slacks and a nice navy blazer.

PatchedUp

Reaction score
Excellent, I'm glad to hear that they worked out for you. It will be interesting to see how they wear over time, but by the sounds of it you will get many great wears from them, congrats.

I've always been keen to have a pair of spectators but not been brave enough to wear them, nor can I envisage having the opportunity to either in the sunny climes of Scotland...

Anachronist

Reaction score
Must admit this is my fourth pair of specatators and probably the ones with the strongest contrast.

The others are an edwardian coloured pair of C&Js with canvas vamps - pretty colonial and good with anything from off-white to beige trousers/chinos, etc., a pair of chestnut calf and chestnut suede Charles Tyrwhitts which is a more subdued combination that is lovely with dark blue or dark grey slacks, and a pear ofcustoom made chestnut and cream calf C&Js, which were my first ones.

I did fret a bit wearing the latter for the very first time many years ago, but in the meantime I wear all of my spectators pretty regularly in spring and summer. You used to get quite a few curious glances a few years backs, but the two-tone look has spread so much that today you can get away well with these and if you combine them carefully with the proper remaining outfit I find them a dashing alternative to my regular shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads