• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Edward Green Falmouth RTW

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Gorgeous shoes; I don't think they are a second but as they are from the sale they may have been floor models or unclaimed orders or stock sent back from EG's retailers.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 606 last is one of the nice EG lasts IMHO. (DON'T LIKE the 888!) Would have prefered a double of HAF sole with the Fudgewelt. BUT an nice EG sample, and a good example of sales choice. If you where to do a EG MTO monk, what would that be?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gazman70k
Just a good camera (D300), good lense with fixed aperture and a trip pod.

What aperture if you don't mind me asking?

Imperator

Reaction score
Nice finish, but otherwise, I don't like them. The side-stitching is inelegant. They remind of me of those hideous Bentanin & Venturi shoes Barneys has been hawking as of late.

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tzimiskes
They have a wonderful finish !

Thanks. I think the antiquing does the trick very well. Am very impressed with them too.

Originally Posted by RJman
Gorgeous shoes; I don't think they are a second but as they are from the sale they may have been floor models or unclaimed orders or stock sent back from EG's retailers.

Cheers mate. They didn't have much in 8.5F, so I couldn't be too picky. They had more in 8E. Damn my weird sized feet!

Originally Posted by speedster.8
The 606 last is one of the nice EG lasts IMHO. (DON'T LIKE the 888!) Would have prefered a double of HAF sole with the Fudgewelt. BUT an nice EG sample, and a good example of sales choice. If you where to do a EG MTO monk, what would that be?

Now we are talking. An EG MTO monk for consideration would be the double buckle Westminster monk with the double leather sole in either Edwardian or burnt pine but heavily antiqued at the toe and the double buckle strap. I would also request the wing tips from the Southwold added but as a stitch rather than the brogue.

Originally Posted by triniboy27
What aperture if you don't mind me asking?

Shot wat taken with a Nikon D300, Nikkor DX 17-55mm F/2.8G @ F/8 for 6s on a tripod. Lighting was natural front lit from a window. Having said that, it was a rather cloudy day.

I find this just the right way to catch the details of the shoes while getting the bokkeh background. F/2.8 will blur parts of the shoe, depending on your auto focus area settting.

Minimal photoshop touch up other than white balance adjustments.

Originally Posted by Imperator
Nice finish, but otherwise, I don't like them. The side-stitching is inelegant. They remind of me of those hideous Bentanin & Venturi shoes Barneys has been hawking as of late.

Interesting comparison since the B&V's are using very thick Norwegian stitching resulting in a chunky and broad welt. I find the storm/fudge welt gives a degree of casualness that goes well with the monk. The squarish toe of the B&V adds to their unattractiveness too. Each to their own I suppose. As a side note, I do like the way you structured your critism and explaining why you don't like. It opens up for deeper discussion.

Originally Posted by william
Awesome shoes. I'd like to get the same pair in Burnt Pine.

Burnt pine would be nice. Unfortunately of all that was offered they only had black and dark oak. I think I made the right choice.

Gaz

observer

Reaction score
Gazman, you have done well and no doubts on that score, at least for one lifetime, I think!

juniper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Guy from Shanghai
Make sense. It would look wired if the storm welt stops at the heel. I believve that the storm welt on a pair of C&J chukka boots I own is 360 degree as well.

I have a pair of Grenson country shoes from 1992 which have a 360 degree welt, but the heel part isn't stormwelted - just the front of the shoe.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great photo's. I wish I could afford shoes with heels like these LSH !

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gazman70k
Now we are talking. An EG MTO monk for consideration would be the double buckle Westminster monk with the double leather sole in either Edwardian or burnt pine but heavily antiqued at the toe and the double buckle strap. I would also request the wing tips from the Southwold added but as a stitch rather than the brogue. Gaz
I have been pondering a Westminster, HAF sole in peblegrain ... And a Stefano Bemer 201, those two would be the close to the ultimate monks IMHO. But will wait for the euro & £ to come down

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Superb pair, Gaz. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get them?

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The burnishing is beautiful

I had G&G make me 2 different shoes in Vintage Rioja and Vintage Oak...both with heavy burnishing/antiquing and I love it

Top Drawer soles are not an option on RTW or MTO shoes

You must cough up the full amount for a Top Drawer shoe. Its not $1600, unless bought from Tom at LeatherSoul. With the freefall of the British pound, they should cost much less. Perhaps our English bretheren can post the current price for EG Top Drawer

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Guy from Shanghai
It would look wired if the storm welt stops at the heel.
Weird? It's more elegant, IMO.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodhpur