• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay shoes

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if people could post some brands of shoes to look for in ebay. I need shoes desperately but have been saving my money for Grensons but would like to pick up some on ebay for the time being but am having troubling finding decent shoes. I have been looking at the following and was hoping people could recommend some other brands for me to look for

-Allen edmonds
-Bruno Magli
-Mezlan
-Magnanni

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if people could post some brands of shoes to look for in ebay.  I need shoes desperately but have been saving my money for Grensons but would like to pick up some on ebay for the time being but am having troubling finding decent shoes. I have been looking at the following and was hoping people could recommend some other brands for me to look for

-Allen edmonds
-Bruno Magli
-Mezlan
-Magnanni
I generally watch for Allen Edmonds, Alden and the English brands (Edward Green, Grenson, Tricker's, C&J, and probably a few others). However, the ebay market has gotten a little bit more competitive recently - 2 years ago, brand new welted AE's could be had for 85-110 before shipping, and sometimes even in the 60's or 70's, depending the style base price and desirabilty. Now it seems to have creeped into the $110 to $150 range before shipping.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Harris -- a flood of them on Ebay, and much cooler than AE, for not much more.
The Harris shoes look cool and seem well made, but various styles I've managed to try at Marshall's (the cap-toe, some sort of moc-toe balmoral, and the penny loafer) on feel wrong. If they're right length-wise, they're too tight. If they're right across the instep, there's way too much space at the toes.

If you have a narrow foot, this might be good for you. They seem to be a bad fit with me.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would avoid the Harris shoes without being able to try them on.  The Harris shoes I've inspected at Barney's are pretty inconsistent in their sizing.  I usually buy an Italian 7, which was decidedly too large in a Harris loafer, while the 6.5 was too tight in the toebox.  Buying American and English brands on Ebay is infinitely simpler since the Anglo-companies tend to standardize their lasts from year-to-year.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Harris would probibly fit well on me cause i have a narrow foot, Allen edmonds dont' fit to well i can get away with an A or a B. I've been looking at more english shoes as i love my grensons. THoughts on these harris's? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....ck=true

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Harris would probibly fit well on me cause i have a narrow foot, Â Allen edmonds dont' fit to well i can get away with an A or a B. Â I've been looking at more english shoes as i love my grensons. Â THoughts on these harris's? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....ck=true
I think those were the moc-toe balmorals I felt were too tight. However, that might be more of an instep thing than a width thing. Â I apparently have a higher than normal instep. Â Perhaps from too much hogging the ball in soccer (football to the non-Americans). I find the AE 10.5D to fit me great in most lasts unless it's a balmoral - the 10.5D Chester, which is supposed to be on a wider last, felt tight on me.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do those harris's compare to other shoes, I.E. Grenson masterpieces, or Allen edmonds? Anyone know what retail value is and if the buyitnow price is worth it? Cause i really like the look of the shoe and and thinking of buying it depending on your answers.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not as good as Grenson -- Italian shoes tend to be marked up a bit higher, it seems.

That said, the retail is indeed in the neighborhood of $600, and they will be superior to Ferragamo and the like. If you like the look, they are worth $150. I've seen the oxfords go for upwards of $190 lately, so the current price is a bargain in the current state of the market.

sashae

Reaction score
Very tempting at that price -- do they run a true half-size small as some of the ads have stated? I have honest-to-god measured 9 3/4 feet (measured at Alden last weekend
wink.gif
and take an Alden 9.5, but 10 in most other shoes... I hate buying stuff without trying it first, but at that price the shot seems worth it.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeh i just bought them i figured why not. If they don't fit i can always try to sell on here or on ebay again. I hope they fit i don't have any black shoes and i can't wait for grensons to come in anymore.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's my ebay query:
(Lattanzi, Mantellassi, weston, lobb, edward green, crockett jones, berluti, cleverley)

sashae

Reaction score
demeis did you end up getting your Harris'? I see they're still out-and-about on eBay, and I too am jonesing for a new pair of shoes...

-s

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
demeis, please let us know how your Harris shoes fit. I too am growing tired of waiting for Grensons and the Harris loafers I'm looking at seem comparable to the Ferragamo Tramezza I see on ebay (experts, please set me straight if this is incorrect. johnnynorman3?), but for about 1/2 the price.

P.S. For less than the price of the Tramezzas I can buy a pair of calfskin Alden loafers that I know will fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads