• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ebay selling strategy: low price, huge S&H

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
This forum includes a technologically advanced innovation called a search function. Use it before posting to ensure that you are not boring other forum members with repeat content.

ASUsundevil

Reaction score
I hate when people add the huge shipping price!! It makes you look like a idiot!!

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, aside from dodging fees...it is means to dupe buyers. Quite often people just see the price of the item and hit it, not noticing the shipping. So, they think they are getting a shirt for a dollar, and then realize they are going to have to pay $200. I speak from experience.

Mike

MacDaddy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by agavilanes
What do you guys think of this selling strategy?

Thom Browne Rugby shirt. BIN for USD 1
bounce2.gif

...but USD 199 S/H
ffffuuuu.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/THOM-BROWNE-POLO...item3365fb63f5

Good idea or epic fail?

$199 for shipping and the insurance is optional?

andrew96

Reaction score
How about a Rolex Presidential $1, shipping $100,000

nerve64

Reaction score
Not to mention getting a refund for returning an item - minus shipping fees!

JohnShaft

Reaction score
In general, I will never purchase anything on those terms. I find it ridiculous and it insults me as a customer. When I see those auction, I automatically skip them.

If one wishes to sell an item for no less than $200, then state the price honestly and let the market tell you if you are in the correct range.

I find many sellers on ebay can't be arsed to do any real research on the real market value of an item and that bothers me. Any time I have sold there, I do my research, set my initial price slightly below what I would find fair, and let the buyers decide. When something is too expensive, people simply won't buy it. Where is the benefit for either party in that?

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I too skip these auctions. I do think that these sellers are banking on the fact that someone will just click BIN and pay anyways.
There was a seller from near where I live that did this. I said that I would buy it and then come pick it up. never did get a response.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads