• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

eating out of dumpsters

Milpool

Reaction score
Apparently people are choosing to dumpster dive and are proud of doing so. I've actually known many people that have had to dumpster dive just to survive, and none of them seemed particularly proud of that time in their life.

http://www.theatlantic.com/food/arch...ss-life/64672/

The thing is, I am bothered by the huge amount of wasted food. So I guess I should be glad that it is getting foraged and consumed.

Strange.

tphd

Reaction score

Milpool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tphd
few americans finish their vegetables

at about 8:40 there's some interesting figures about how much food we throw away

Damn, I knew it was bad, but holy hell that is horrible.
frown.gif

1.5 lbs of food per household per day is thrown away.

Big T

Reaction score
Never ate food from a dumpster, but when I was in college (Penn State, class of '74), we furnished our apartment with dumpster items--couch, mattresses (lots and lots of Lysol). Only item that we didn't get for free was a great old easy chair couple of guys were hauling out of an apartment. Asked what they were doing with it and they said it was going to one of their basements for storage. Asked us if we wanted to buy it. Said we had no cash. They asked what we had to trade. Only thing surplus was a gram of not so good hash.

Chair came home with us!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
edmorel joke (sorry, ed)

This is what I thought the thread was going to be about.
frown.gif

I feel cheated.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I once new a guy who would proudly get rice and other dry goods out of grocery store dumpsters. He and a few of his friends did this regularly.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saltricks
at least its not arby's.

the "expired" food they're getting out of dumpster is undoubtedly higher quality than the food found at Arby's.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In most cities in north america, I'm quite sad to say that anyone could eat EXTREMELY well out of dumpsters.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're not getting anything from me. Only food I threw out in the last month were expired grapes. Of course I'm a bachelor.

I can't imagine doing it especially since it's the same place to toss used condoms.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
yep, they're freegans. And before you jump to conclusions and rule them all off as weirdos, read the wiki and do a little research. As a society we do waste a ton of perfectly good stuff. I suppose some of them are just cheap, but many are normal people who believe there's free stuff to be had and it's wasteful to simple consume and move on.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Even if they were throwing out perfectly good filet mignon, that is something i'd never do. First, there's that little thing called dignity, and second, it wouldn't be worth disrupting my sleep schedule.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bkstone
A long time ago I once knew someone who would wait at the end of the day to take garbage bags from fast foods (dunkin donuts, white castle). He told me fast food restuarants had to dump out any food at the end of the day that they did not sell because it must always be fresh.

That's a lie. Yes, they do throw it away - into locked containers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads