• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eating Alone

nordicstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by x26
Depends on the circumstances. If I'm traveling alone I don't mind it, but ussually dine where other travelers eat. Otherwise I guess it would feel fairly creepy.
Best Wishes

Same here. I eat alone when I'm traveling, and I have no problem with it, but for some reason I think it's a bit odd to eat alone when I'm in my own city. It's quite silly, actually, since there really is no difference.

Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
I think if you're really hungry, and are outside it's normal. If you are at home however, and just decide to go out, and eat by yourself then it's weird. What's the point? You can do this at home. Do you guys go to a restaurant for the food, and to stare at the bitches their that are not alone? I just don't get it. Too each his own I guess.

I can think of a few reasons:

* You don't have to make the food.
* You don't have to clean up after making and/or eating the food.
* You don't have to figure out what to eat (or, at least, picking from a menu makes it easier).
* You can eat meals you would never bother to, or don't have the skills to, make yourself.
* You can sit down, relax, enjoy the world and observer other people.
* You can (potentially) meet new people.

Originally Posted by Xericx
I don't cook at home and hate having to clean dishes/garbage and I'm single. I also don't want to force myself to talk to someone or not be able to choose where I want to eat just because I feel conscious about eating alone. I just don't like going to a restaurant, getting the food, then taking it home to eat. I'd rather just eat it at the restaurant where I get waited on and I can relax. I usually bring something to read and its less chaotic. I have zero qualms about eating by myself.

So I eat 10-12 meals per week by myself.

I admire that. Sometimes I wish I had the courage to go out alone more often. I have plenty of friends to socialize with, but we all have busy schedules, so meeting up to eat our have drinks happen less often than I would like to. I guess the solution is either to get more friends or to go out alone more.

Originally Posted by XenoX101
I think there's something incredibly sophisticated about eating alone, not needing the presence or reassurance of others, being alone with your thoughts and opinions, embracing the meal for yourself, nobody else, it takes a certain kind of person. I also relate it to men on business trips with all expenses paid, living in spoil. I don't mind good company, I love being with people, but I just as well enjoy the quiet serenity of sitting on your own, looking at the stars, eating or drinking as you ponder the world and where you stand in it. I think getting a window/bench seat is key.

I think this is a very good experience, given that you are not worried about what others may--or may not--think of you. Clearly, as this thread has confirmed, there's still some social stigma associated with people eating alone.

Originally Posted by Reggs
My girlfriend and I make up stories about people we see eating alone. It's good dinner conversation. It's ideal when we can sit where the loner is in full view, but out of ear shot. Most lone eaters in my area are middle aged chubby men with red faces.

I bet they sit there making up stories about you two in their heads also...
wink.gif

ed1066

Reaction score
I eat alone often, as I travel about 80% for business. For me, the key is to find the right kind of place. Asian/sushi joints are especially good for eating alone, as there is always a bar and there are often a lot of single diners in these places. I always bring reading material or my netbook, and it's nice to enjoy your meal without worrying about making conversation or having food in your teeth. On occasion, I have been asked if I'm a food critic, which is pretty funny, because I think they try to blend in a little better than a guy alone with a laptop at the bar...

raclotz

Reaction score
no i dont eat alone as i have my room mate .. but would love to eat alone as i would get to eat and watch my favourite channel without arguing

huy

Reaction score
I don't like eating alone unless I am in a hurry. When I do eat alone, it is usually at a fast food place and not one where the waiter comes to you.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to hear Phat Guido's opinion, while he most certainly would have people to eat with wherever he goes, I'm sure there have been some occasions where he's had or wanted to eat alone.

Eagle

Reaction score
Occasionally keeping ones own counsel, provides the best company. There have been times when absorbed in a good book, I have gone out to eat alone, simply to facilitate continuing my read as I ate my meal! Anti-social...yes; acceptable...that would be your call.
wink.gif

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like eating with people, but definately appreciate the times when I can eat on my own. Eating on my own too many times (especially when eating out) would definately get depressing very quickly.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
In 10th grade i went to a really small parochial school (15 students in grades 9-12), I liked one of the girls... and was friends with a few of my classmates but for the most part they all sucked. I asked the girl I was crushing on out a few times, it never panned out. So I would go and spend what I would have spent on 2 people on myself and then tell her all about it at school. It was a pretty douchey thing to do I suppose, but I had fun eating 30$ steaks, and not having to see ****** movies.

bmwftw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
In 10th grade i went to a really small parochial school (15 students in grades 9-12), I liked one of the girls... and was friends with a few of my classmates but for the most part they all sucked. I asked the girl I was crushing on out a few times, it never panned out. So I would go and spend what I would have spent on 2 people on myself and then tell her all about it at school. It was a pretty douchey thing to do I suppose, but I had fun eating 30$ steaks, and not having to see ****** movies.

haha. I actually did this once (but with one of her chatty friends, so she would hear about the amazing steakhouse from someone else)

laugh.gif

It's douchey, but great at the same time.

I like SF more and more every day.
inlove.gif

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer to eat alone, as silly convesations distract me from enjoying the food

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eating alone is the worst. I hate it.

I always get the impression that the staff feels sorry for people who are eating alone. I don't their sympathy or pity conversation. lol.

KenN

Reaction score
Other than lunches at the desk on busy days and breakfast in the morning at home. I don't think I have eaten alone at restaurants in a couple years.
I don't think there is anything wrong with eating alone though, but I like company.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I'll eat lunch alone, never dinner. I'd rather just get takeout and eat in the comfort of my home.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads