• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eating Alone

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
I think if you're really hungry, and are outside it's normal. If you are at home however, and just decide to go out, and eat by yourself then it's weird. What's the point? You can do this at home. Do you guys go to a restaurant for the food, and to stare at the bitches their that are not alone? I just don't get it. Too each his own I guess.

The point? It's a lot easier for me to go out and fork over cash to have a chef prepare 5 courses for me and not have to worry about dishes. And yes, I do go to restaurants for the food.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have no problems eating alone on occasion. I do it most often while on business travel.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
Let's not go that far.

laugh.gif

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Almost never do unless I'm travelling. At places owned by friends or situations like that, I do eat at the chef's table by myself pretty often, but only because I am talking to the guys working.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer eating lunch during the workweek alone. I'm around my coworkers all day, why would I want to spend my free time in the middle of the day with them also? It's my time to eat in peace and read a book for an hour.

tdangio

Reaction score
Breakfast is almost always alone unless I'm travelling with other people from work and we meet for breakfast. Lunch depends, if I do eat alone it will be at my desk, but that isn't truly alone as our cube walls are short as hell so we get the whole gopher field effect going on and you can easily talk over the walls while sitting. Dinner, never go out to eat alone unless travelling for work, then it's usually sitting at the bar. If I'm in town it's either cooking and eating at home, picking something up to bring home, or going out with friends, never going out to eat alone.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I eat along alot. when I travel, which is about half the time. when I am at the office I eat alone most days. I find that I eat alone at home a lot, too, because my wife and kids and I each eat on different schedules and different things, so I often sit with my wife when she eats, but eat at a differnt time.

actually articulating this makes it seem even weirder.

Bohdathone

Reaction score
I don't mind too much if it's a more casual place and if I have something to read. At other times I like to think of how Ari Onassis would often sit alone in the best restaurant in Monte Carlo, ignoring their menu and simply ordering his favourite dish of fried onions. Quite inspiring, I think

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think there's something incredibly sophisticated about eating alone, not needing the presence or reassurance of others, being alone with your thoughts and opinions, embracing the meal for yourself, nobody else, it takes a certain kind of person. I also relate it to men on business trips with all expenses paid, living in spoil. I don't mind good company, I love being with people, but I just as well enjoy the quiet serenity of sitting on your own, looking at the stars, eating or drinking as you ponder the world and where you stand in it. I think getting a window/bench seat is key.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend and I make up stories about people we see eating alone. It's good dinner conversation. It's ideal when we can sit where the loner is in full view, but out of ear shot. Most lone eaters in my area are middle aged chubby men with red faces.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to do it a lot, but not as often as I used to. You get in when you want, leave when you want, or sit as long as you want. You don't have to worry about who is paying, what the other person is ordering etc.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I eat alone alot because I don't like people sharing my food and I am absolutely religious about not talking during meal times. Also I am a sloppy eater and a miser as well if that helps my cause.
I just find something incredibly satisfying about dining alone where there is none of the concern of groupthink and compromise, and the awkward payment part. There have been too many times where I've been suckered in to pay my share of fine wines which I did not have any intention of ordering in the first place.

The problem with dining alone is that some restaurants have a policy of a minimum of 2 diners per table and in which case, I usually lie about my partner arriving later. Another downside is you get assholes who try to paint your life story based simply on you out dining alone.

jagmqt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche
Do you eat alone on a routine basis? What about when you are out at a restaurant? How do you feel about it?

I eat most of my meals alone and I go out to eat alone on a regular basis. I'm not sure if I should feel pathetic, creepy, bold and devil-may-care, or what.

What about others?

I would think you would feel hungry, then satisfied after eating.

I think your self-awareness and over-analyzation of the perception people have of you while you dine alone will not be remedied with the question you're asking.

"I walk alone on a regular basis..."
"I shop alone on a regular basis..."
"I ride the bus alone on a regular basis..."
"I go to movies alone on a regular basis..."
"I go to bars alone on a regular basis..."
"I go to the gym alone on a regular basis..."

It's not the activity that's important here...it's the "alone" part. If you're comfortable with that, you won't care what you do or how it's perceived.

There is a difference between being alone and being lonely.

Just my thoughts.

jag

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jagmqt
There is a difference between being alone and being lonely.

I remember that from that De Niro movie Heat. I'm alone but I'm not lonely.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
I eat alone alot because I don't like people sharing my food and I am absolutely religious about not talking during meal times. Also I am a sloppy eater and a miser as well if that helps my cause. I just find something incredibly satisfying about dining alone where there is none of the concern of groupthink and compromise, and the awkward payment part. There have been too many times where I've been suckered in to pay my share of fine wines which I did not have any intention of ordering in the first place. The problem with dining alone is that some restaurants have a policy of a minimum of 2 diners per table and in which case, I usually lie about my partner arriving later. Another downside is you get assholes who try to paint your life story based simply on you out dining alone.
I think we can paint you pretty well just by your post. Freak!
teacha.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads