• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eames Lounge Chair copies... worth it?

twistoffat

Reaction score
I just checked eBay and most used buy it now are around 3000usd. For second hand " furniture" I would call that holding its value. As. Percentage of purchase price try achieve that with something from the mall or ikea

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just checked eBay and most used buy it now are around 3000usd. For second hand " furniture" I would call that holding its value. As. Percentage of purchase price try achieve that with something from the mall or ikea

Depends on the item from Ikea. I see some things that sell on Craigslist that still retain 75% or so of their original value, most others drop STEEPLY though...

Intrepident

Reaction score
I'm really glad I stumbled onto this thread. I've been debating for months on whether or not to get a Herman Miller Eames Lounge Chair or the one from Rove Concepts. I found an authorized dealer that I talked into giving me a brand new Walnut/Black Leather for $3400 shipped/after tax or with MCL leather upgrade for $3600. (I believe the full retail is $5,000 + for both of these models). Rove Concepts copy would be $1400. I don't know what do to. What do you all think of the price point of the Herman Miller one that I got quoted? If it's a steal I think I will jump on the Herman Miller one...

twistoffat

Reaction score

I'm really glad I stumbled onto this thread.  I've been debating for months on whether or not to get a Herman Miller Eames Lounge Chair or the one from Rove Concepts.  I found an authorized dealer that I talked into giving me a brand new Walnut/Black Leather for $3400 shipped/after tax or with MCL leather upgrade for $3600.  (I believe the full retail is $5,000 + for both of these models).  Rove Concepts copy would be $1400.  I don't know what do to.  What do you all think of the price point of the Herman Miller one that I got quoted? If it's a steal I think I will jump on the Herman Miller one...

3600 is a great deal. Pounce on it.

Edsal17

Reaction score
I bought the Rove Concept. Buy the Herman Miller. Rove looks and feels the leather great, but as I mentioned before the seat angle is wrong. If I was just going to stare at the chair, the Rove would have been fine, but once you sit in both of the chairs, you realize the ergonomic is what is missing from the Rove. If I had to do it all over again, I would have gotten the HM Eames.

Last edited:

skeetybug

Reaction score
I finally found two companies that sell the best eames replicas: they are iconicinteriors in the uk and mcmclassics in Usa. I have a pleasure of getting both and they are identical. I was furnishing a lobby of a condo and they wanted commercial quality lounge chairs but at a really good price and I bought one from iconic and another from mcmclassics and they are as good as the original if not better because the rubber shock mounts came with 4 screws each instead of two. If you did your research you know the rubber shock mount is the chair's archilles heel.

Brittany Paris

Reaction score
I ordered an Eames lounge replica from Rove Concepts and they gave me a great deal with delayed shipping, which means I had to wait two months, but I saved a couple hundred. They told me they are changing the tilt of the chair to match the original and are also upgrading a few other aspects of the chair. Now the plywood will be double faced, and they are changing up the padding to be a little more comfortable. I don't know what the plus is to do double faced plywood, do any of you know? Also, they said that they have both arm rest and head rest rubber shock mounts like the original. And their leather is zippered like the original as well. The aniline leather samples that I received seemed to be higher grade but there weren't any pores in the leather like the Herman Miller. (Yes, I requested samples of the Herman Miller leather in both the standard and MCL leather) So, Rove's leather must be sanded down or something to hide imperfections. I like the pores showing though. But then I'm weird. I am super excited to receive it, they said it should be end of this month that it ships! Been waiting since end of February!

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just you. People are talking about where to buy the subject chair, their thoughts on it, and the prices they've seen. Very informative.

Brittany Paris

Reaction score
Bahahahaha! I agree, some of it seems like spam. Very entertaining spam. I looked at manhattan home design but the leather is tight and unnatural looking. That's my one gripe with reproductions. Let that leather relax, baby! It looks cheap and ridiculous pulled all tight like that. Just my 2 cents.

Brittany Paris

Reaction score
Scratch that, I just went on the MHD site again, and apparently they have changed some things about their chair. Looks like the leather is as it should be. Last time I looked them up was December of last year. But then I went to the Barcelona designs website and they have the same pictures, so who knows. Maybe it's secretly the same company.

twistoffat

Reaction score
No, selling fakes is a breach of copyright. They all belong together in many cases. If one gets closed the other one continues. Never be happy with a fake, always buy the real deal :slayer:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads