• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Duffel/Weekend Bag: Pockets or No/Less Pockets

Jay687

Reaction score
I'm looking to get a Duffel Bag and I'm considering two options from Frost River:

1. With Pockets Option: Laurentian (2,400 cu in / 40L -> split between the main and side pockets)
https://www.frostriver.com/shop/laurentian-luggage-2/
(carry-on size is smallest)

2. Without (Well, Less) Pockets Option: Explorer (3,100 cu in / 50L -> don't think side pocket interferes with main compartment size)
https://www.frostriver.com/shop/explorer-duffel-bag/
(carry-on size is second smallest)

Do you guys generally prefer the single compartment or do you find the extra pockets are useful to segregate? The thing about the extra pockets is that there are definite drawbacks. First, the Laurentian bag weighs 5.3 lbs while the Explorer only weighs 3.6 lbs, nearly 2 lbs heavier. Also, despite both having dimensions of ~45", the shape of the Explorer has the edge in terms of volume... 50L vs. 40L, which is 20% larger.

Are the pockets worth it if the size and weight were the same? What about with those drawbacks taken into consideration?

Also, if I were to go with the pocketless/sack option... how do you organize things in your duffel bags? For example: dirty vs. clean clothes (and even my "clean" pants I wear more than once so I'd want segregated) or things like sneakers, umbrella, etc. that you wouldn't want in your main compartment. I do suppose the Explorer has some extra pockets, even if they aren't large.

Anyway, this will replace a large backpack that has various compartments that I stuff things in. Plus, I generally also take a second drawstring bag as well. So, I'm just not sure what would be best as I've never used a duffel.

Any help appreciated... thanks!

Last edited:

mgrennier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just ordered a Frost River Explorer (today, February 10). I haven't seen it yet as they were out of stock and they have to "build it" for me. I was back and forth between the Flight bag and the Explorer from Frost River. I went with the Explorer because it was more of a "duffle" look and I liked the outside pocket.

Let me know what you decide.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads