• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Drying hair flat?

montyharding

Reaction score
So - here's something I've struggled with for a while, perhaps someone can help me.

If I'm pressed for time after I shower (which is normal), I blow-dry my hair. I have longish, straight hair and what happens is that after blow-drying it explodes into late 80's bouffantage, which I have to calm with gel.

When I have time, I wrap a towel tightly around my head and it dries flat, and looks a lot better.

What's a quick way of getting the 'dried in a towel' effect?

Nexus6

Reaction score
I haven't used a blow-dryer in 20 years.

My hair is very fine, and also puffs up after drying naturally,
and I do the same as you;
re-wetting with my fingers, and shaping it.

The rest I leave to nature.

Don't worry if you have a few wild hairs.
It brings the maternal instincts out in women.
You'll be suprised how a female friend or co-worker
will come right up to you and stroke your hair down,
or take some fluff off your jacket for you,
or do up a loose button.

These things have their advantages
inlove.gif

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All you need to do is blow dry the hair with a vent brush or a round brush (and a soft gel). Dry one section at a time after towel drying and getting the majority of moisture out.

There's no reason it should make your hair "puffy". Also, just to control any flyaways when finished, take a VERY small amount of pomade and LIGHTLY go over your finished hair. This will add some texture and weigh down and fly away puffy hair...

montyharding

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
All you need to do is blow dry the hair with a vent brush or a round brush (and a soft gel). Dry one section at a time after towel drying and getting the majority of moisture out.

I've tried this and it basically ends up:

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about letting your hair dry in a ponytail?

FromCAtoCO

Reaction score
Hairdryers and hairstraightners? Are we men? Cut it short, or just towel dry and put in gel.

blackjack

Reaction score
Almost the same thing as a towel, but you might consider wearing a baseball cap on your head for ten minutes and then let it dry out naturally.

Or, consider getting your haircut much shorter. That's what I do.

turbozed

Reaction score
I have semi long hair for a guy.

The best way for me to to towel dry as much as possible. Then blow dry it at medium heat with a vented roll brush until it's almost completely dry. Then I spray on some of that moisturizing oil and run it through (kinda like that Rusk stuff but cheaper). Works well for avoiding frizz.

If you want to have emo or club hair, break out the straightening iron.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turbozed
I have semi long hair for a guy.

The best way for me to to towel dry as much as possible. Then blow dry it at medium heat with a vented roll brush until it's almost completely dry. Then I spray on some of that moisturizing oil and run it through (kinda like that Rusk stuff but cheaper). Works well for avoiding frizz.

If you want to have emo or club hair, break out the straightening iron.

Just make sure that the hair's completely dry!

turbozed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
Just make sure that the hair's completely dry!

Yes, this is extremely important. Otherwise you'll fry your hair. If there's steam coming out of your hair, you're doing it wrong. Go to town with the blow dryer first. Use the protectant oils if you must as well.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montyharding
I figured as much. I'll try the brush though.

Don't pull the hair in any other direction other than the way you want it (straight down). Also, when it's dry just pull some pomade or heavier product through it so it doesn't fly away or stand up. With some practice you should be fine.

turbozed

Reaction score
If you can afford it, there's nothing better for smoothing out DRY hair like a Mason Pearson brush. I have wavy hair but I'm able to achieve 'emo' like hairstyles just because the brush leaves my hair so ******* smooth, shiny, and straight. It's amazing.

masonpearsonnylon.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads