• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Drug testing at work

jimmyfingers

Reaction score
I am a ind. contractor for the Army and was never tested.

I was tested when I worked for a golf course operating heavy machinery which is understandable. It was a urine test that went through GC/MS. I got hit with a golf ball while mowing the fairway and had to be taken to the doctor. They tested me as soon as I arrived.

I was also tested when I worked as a bag boy at Publix with the oral swab. From what I understand, they are fairly liberal with marijuana and will probably still hire you. They also did random testing when a bag boy was arrested for selling drugs in the store while working. The people in the pharmacy seemed to get tested once a month.

"We often hire our problems and accidents" is a popular thing being preached to the people that hire.

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thenanyu
I know a lot of guys who use beta blockers for auditions.

that's interesting. how do they work and are they for passing a polygraph test or something of the like?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr.orange
that's interesting. how do they work and are they for passing a polygraph test or something of the like?

Primary use of beta blockers are to treat HTN.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Hypertension.

Contingency Plan

Reaction score
There was a section on this in Bigger, Faster, Stronger - would recommend the film for anyone interested in how widespread performance enhancing drugs are.

Originally Posted by thenanyu
I know a lot of guys who use beta blockers for auditions.

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Hypertension.

Gotcha.

Originally Posted by Contingency Plan
There was a section on this in Bigger, Faster, Stronger - would recommend the film for anyone interested in how widespread performance enhancing drugs are.

mmm...hopefully I can instantly stream it on NetFlix. I highly doubt it though, most of the good stuff is DVD only. GAY.
laugh.gif

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It should be on instant view. Pretty sure that is where I watched it. Good documentary.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We hair test every few months for everybody.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as professionals, I've only known one guy who has been tested. Still, I wouldn't do anythign that would cause me to fail, never know when you might want or need to be looking for that next gig.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Come on, seriously?
People might be surprised that classical musicians are this way, as opposed to people who play other genres. If we talk about substance use at least a few times, I'd say 80-90% of classical musicians have done something.
I hear that beta blockers are big with this crowd. Slows the heart and helps keep hands steady.
Yeah, if we include beta blockers, I'd say it's at least 50% of classical musicians. I take a 5mg dose for auditions. It definitely helps. I have to work a bit to overcome the feeling of beta blockers so that I can still play like a badass.
Primary use of beta blockers are to treat HTN.
This. But for hypertension, the dose is exponentially bigger. 5mg is almost like a placebo. They work for not allowing you to get worked up about being nervous. I find that if I am very confident before an audition, I take 5mg of propranolol an hour before and I don't even think about nerves. Some public speakers and actors take them also, although I've heard that some actors have a tendency to forget their lines after taking beta blockers.

gauche.story

Reaction score
Beta-blockers, eh? I think I should investigate this.

Remember, for every problem, there is a pill.

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
We hair test every few months for everybody.

why bother when a urine test will do just fine? Just saying since your company does it so often

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr.orange
why bother when a urine test will do just fine? Just saying since your company does it so often
Hair will go back much further than urine. Rate of testing also tapers off to twice a year as the gents get established.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads