1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Drug testing at work

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Davidko19, Jun 11, 2011.

1. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

No drug testing whatsoever in my field. I'd say at least 20% of classical musicians occasionally have some fun with substances. Not sure about army/navy/marine bands.

Come on, seriously?

2. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

if i had to drug testing i would have no employees

3. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

I've had drug tests required upon being a new hire at two of my office jobs in the course of my career. I passed both of the tests, though on at least one of them, I have no idea how. I guess pot and/or coke don't linger in the system as long as it commonly assumed.

4. Wolfador

Wolfador Senior member

They do "random" testing here. Some guys have gotten 3-4 times and others like me never.

Two guys got a "random" test the day after they went to a Damian Marley concert.

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

No drug testing whatsoever in my field. I'd say at least 20% of classical musicians occasionally have some fun with substances. Not sure about army/navy/marine bands.

I hear that beta blockers are big with this crowd. Slows the heart and helps keep hands steady.

6. mr.orange

mr.orange Senior member

if i had to drug testing i would have no employees

hahaha oh man that's crazy. Does doing drugs make you a bad person?

They do "random" testing here. Some guys have gotten 3-4 times and others like me never.

Two guys got a "random" test the day after they went to a Damian Marley concert.

I'm betting you never saw them again lol.

What's this I hear about testing your hair (or hair follicles I don't remember) for drugs? For things like MJ, it's supposed to be extremely accurate in determing whether you've smoked or not.

7. Wolfador

Wolfador Senior member

I'm betting you never saw them again lol.

Didn't see them for a few weeks. (They offer a treatment program here, where you can keep your job if you complete it)

8. otc

otc Senior member

What's this I hear about testing your hair (or hair follicles I don't remember) for drugs? For things like MJ, it's supposed to be extremely accurate in determing whether you've smoked or not.

It works and the records are there for quite a long time.

I think most places will only test something like the first inch (or like 60-90 days of history) and ignore everything longer....they are pretty expensive though so you gotta have a good reason to do it instead of a urine test. You'd never use it in something like a post-accident situation where everything would show up in urine and lets be honest, most employers aren't looking for someone who has never ever touched anything...they just want you to be able to pass a drug test (i.e. you can abstain long enough to test clean).

Cutting your hair won't help unless you go everything. You'd probably think you were pretty clever until they just go ahead and grab some pubes and a chest hair.

9. mr.orange

mr.orange Senior member

Didn't see them for a few weeks. (They offer a treatment program here, where you can keep your job if you complete it)

that's generous on the company's part but, what if they don't pass next time?

Cutting your hair won't help unless you go everything. You'd probably think you were pretty clever until they just go ahead and grab some pubes and a chest hair.

LOL you heard it here folks. You do drugs, you will get busted.

All kidding aside, companies drug test to know if you are a trustworthy person. At least that's the experience I've had.

10. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I get drug tested at work. There are random calls for getting tested. I don't work for the government, no I am not a blue collar worker. So, yes, it exists and yes, it does suck.

11. jimmyfingers

jimmyfingers Senior member

I am a ind. contractor for the Army and was never tested.

I was tested when I worked for a golf course operating heavy machinery which is understandable. It was a urine test that went through GC/MS. I got hit with a golf ball while mowing the fairway and had to be taken to the doctor. They tested me as soon as I arrived.

I was also tested when I worked as a bag boy at Publix with the oral swab. From what I understand, they are fairly liberal with marijuana and will probably still hire you. They also did random testing when a bag boy was arrested for selling drugs in the store while working. The people in the pharmacy seemed to get tested once a month.

"We often hire our problems and accidents" is a popular thing being preached to the people that hire.

12. thenanyu

thenanyu Senior member

I hear that beta blockers are big with this crowd. Slows the heart and helps keep hands steady.

I know a lot of guys who use beta blockers for auditions.

13. mr.orange

mr.orange Senior member

that's interesting. how do they work and are they for passing a polygraph test or something of the like?

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

that's interesting. how do they work and are they for passing a polygraph test or something of the like?

Primary use of beta blockers are to treat HTN.

15. mr.orange

mr.orange Senior member

Primary use of beta blockers are to treat HTN.

what's HTN?

16. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

17. Contingency Plan

Contingency Plan Senior member

There was a section on this in Bigger, Faster, Stronger - would recommend the film for anyone interested in how widespread performance enhancing drugs are.

18. mr.orange

mr.orange Senior member

Hypertension.

Gotcha.

There was a section on this in Bigger, Faster, Stronger - would recommend the film for anyone interested in how widespread performance enhancing drugs are.

mmm...hopefully I can instantly stream it on NetFlix. I highly doubt it though, most of the good stuff is DVD only. GAY. [​IMG]

19. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

It should be on instant view. Pretty sure that is where I watched it. Good documentary.

20. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

We hair test every few months for everybody.