• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Droid vs. iPhone? (esp. for advanced users)

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mountains
The Droid isn't on AT&T's ******, dropped-call-magnet network.

'Nuff said.

You must be on the East Coast?

gt33

Reaction score
having both an iphone 3gs and a droid, i say neither...wait untill the HTC passion comes out. if i had to pick i'd say droid although the iphone is slick as hell once jailbroken as well

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
iphone_or_droid.png

StreetSmarts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Benefits of iPhone (Useless without jailbreak/crack, so assuming that already):

- All apps are free, and there are a lot of good ones out there with a very active 3rd party developer scene
- Internet navigation is decent
- Excellent instant messaging interface
- Workplaces already starting to support it for corporate email (took a while, but it's happening)
- Good facebook app
- Tethering is easy
- GPS/navigation is very good (3rd party apps, that is)
- Incredibly good auto-correction on keyboard, making up for the difficulty in inputting things right the first time.

Problems with iPhone

- Insufferably laggy
- Multitask mgmt is nonexistant and even with "Backgrounder" app download for cracked version it is not ideal
- Awful programming of Internet app - nothing is stored in cache and back button mandated complete refresh of all previous pages (more annoying than you can imagine)
- YouTube app is godawful (again no caching so as soon as video finishes, to replay you must reload the entire thing)
- Lack of a real native file browser system - why can't I just USB drag and drop folders/files into iPhone without using the marsupialed iTunes crap?
- Obnoxious "approval process" for new apps to get into AppStore that rejects some of the best potential apps out there due to conflict of interest (e.g. Grooveshark)
- Obnoxious "turn your phone into a brick" risk for jailbroken phones when upgrading to new versions. Apple can do whatever they'd like to prevent people from hacking phones, but realize that this kind of customer unfriendly behavior will make people jump ship as soon as an alternative arrives
- Crap video player that only supports some files

Okay. Now, how can droid do a better job on these fronts? I don't give a crap about the QWERTY keyboard and the vanilla Droid youtube demos. I am not a BBerry-tool. I just want to know the important stuff.

1) If I load my droid with more than a handful of apps, does it become laggy (opening apps, etc.)?
2) How easy is it to "alt-tab" between apps in Droid?
3) Does the internet have caching?
4) Does youtube have caching?
5) There must be a real file browser, and it allows drag-dropping from PC via USB right? And it supports most basic file types (MS Office, PDF, etc.)
6) Does the video player support all file types? If not, is there a dynamic ability to download codecs to make it do so?
7) Most important - is it hackable/jailbreakable to allow for non-approved 3rd party apps and for free download of approved apps? Spare me your anti-piracy laments and gently remove your ass from *******. I don't care.
8) Is the "App Store" more open to "competing apps"? Too early to tell perhaps.

These are the things that really matter, not those bullshit "comparison charts" floating around comparing the 30minute difference in standby battery life, hard drive sizes, and megapixels on the camera.

Anyone with a droid or anyone that knows about droid, I'd appreciate if you could cover any of the above. Gracias.

How is iPhone slow? Do you have the new 3GS?

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
No I have the regular 3G.

3G is painfully slow. Mine almost ended up being ejected from my car window several times. 3GS is actually usable.

StreetSmarts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
3G is painfully slow. Mine almost ended up being ejected from my car window several times. 3GS is actually usable.
You only really notice the difference if you used the 3GS.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads