• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dressing well outside of work considered inappropriate?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
story.jpg

- B

He is a Norton's customer...

He just looks awful..Bad cosmetic surgeries...

He is seen as the Antechrist on SR...

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
He is a Norton's customer... He just looks awful..Bad cosmetic surgeries... He is seen as the Antechrist on SR...
He certainly got a Norton suit for a bit of PR, but I think that's about it. If he lived on the North Shore of Oahu and was a certified, big wave riding hellman, he'd almost get away with looking like that. Almost.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kentishman
He certainly got a Norton suit for a bit of PR, but I think that's about it.

If he lived on the North Shore of Oahu and was a certified, big wave riding hellman, he'd almost get away with looking like that.

Almost.

You have got a point there on the all PR operation after the Row was spitting feathers when he did first arrived there...

I doubt he is still ordering suits from there...

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't the A&F store actually on Burlington Gardens anyway (albeit only just)?

Sterling Gillette

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WRAdvisor
... I'm dressed up 60 hours a week and I've become very comfortable in doing so.
Being comfortable in what you are wearing is a vastly underrated factor here. Who cares whether you are wearing a suit or chinos as long as you project an easy air. As we have learned recently, even Vox, a.k.a. The Lord Of The Closets doesn't change into casual friday casual for picking up Mini-Vox from kindergarten.

Originally Posted by The Louche
FTFY. They are completely worthless.
Well, not completely. I know of at least one thing they are quite useful for. You know, cleaning and such.

Originally Posted by ProfessorShak
It's interesting that you noticed that. Part of the heated conversation involved statements like "Who you f@#kin?"
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif

Ok, I'll rethink the completely worthless-theory.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sterling Gillette
Well, not completely. I know of at least one thing they are quite useful for. You know, cleaning and such.

Ok maybe this. Seriously.

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Since you are in graduate school, you should know that the proper expression is, "I couldn't care less."
I could care less about proper grammar.
Originally Posted by ZON_JR
Your wife is suffering from one of two delusions:

1. You are having an affair.

2. You will be ruined by the cost of dry cleaning.

3. You are gettin' it done with the chick at the drycleaners

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kentishman
Isn't the A&F store actually on Burlington Gardens anyway (albeit only just)?

Only just...When they queue for the sales ,they do so on the row...

su_maverick

Reaction score
I even bounced this off of one of my female coworkers and she said the same as most of the guys on here..
The arguement is about some insecurity that she is feeling right now. We can only guess as to what it is but the big thing is that you are not doing anything wrong. As you know, grad school is as much about networking as it is about learning. Im in the process of getting my MBA in the city now as well and I always make sure that I look decent when going to class. Not only because I might make a connection with one of my classmates but it also looks good to your professor. My father is a college professor and he even says that it feels good when some of his students show up dressed well, that its a level of respect.

In the end, talk to your wife and find out why she is upset because its not about this.

aphextwin07

Reaction score
dressing too formal when it is not required makes you less approachable. if thats what youre going for, then definitely dress up when its not necessary.

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool user name ^

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Twotone
Dressing up (for the occasion) is always appropriate. You never know who you will meet or where. You could bump into a prospective employer in the check out line at Safeway. Not to say you need to wear a suit and tie every time you leave the house, but don't dress like a slob either. Twotone
+1,000 A well dressed man (or woman) is recognized as a symbol of prosperity, whether it be in a business environment or on leisure time. Birds of the same feather stick together. Money attracts money; prosperity, prosperity. There is no fault with presenting ones self to the best of ones abilities at all times. As stated above, one never knows when opportunity may present itself. Resentment can only come from those who make no effort to understand this. As for the 'girlfriend' portion of your problem... Your girlfriend is a jeans & T-shirt type? You are not. Each to his/her own. If she can not or will not appreciate the fact that you are doing everything you can to surge upward, then dump her, or she will forever drag you down. I am suspecting that clothes are not the only issue between you both (hope I'm wrong). She should recognize that your efforts could possibly also benefit her too and your children, should you get married one day. Dress for success. On the other hand, if she is smoking hot gorgeous and you really love her and want to stay together, then learn two words 'Yes Dear' and at least comprimise somewhat. Perhaps look into the world of streetwear. This way you get to enjoy both worlds. Make her happy on leisure time, make yourself happy on business time. Women need to feel needed (as we all do). They also need to have their viewpoints respected. If you come across to her as 'James Bond-don't need no womans opinion on nothin', then she will feel as though you don't need her. Therefore, make her feel that you need her. This is the vital key. If you convince her to dress better herself, this could back-fire on you when some rich bastard takes her away from you. ..These are revealing times for your relationship. If it ends (I hope not), look on the bright side; she may have a new yappy lapdog named after you and some hairy gorilla on her arm, but you'll always have your clothes. I think you two should get married. Change both your careers to law. This way you get paid for arguing.
fight[1].gif

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I wouldn't enjoy — or even want to — work for someone who couldn't differentiate between me being "on- or off-duty".

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
After having a conversation with the wife, there is a bit of insecurity but I hope to have addressed that. She has noted something that I might make a new thread about, social status

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well yes and no, if you feel the need to dress up a bit or want to look nice you shoudl need no reason then just that. There are rule for when it is appropriate to be dressed up such as weddings, funerals interviews etc, but there are none that state one can not be dressed up either. I wear a suit and tie to work daily, even on fridays when it is more casual, on sundays for church. I don't haev to but I do so because I can and feel better doing so. I will even come home and often time not change, again because I can and feel better doing so. You have to dress to your heats desire adn not let anyone stand in the way of that. You will regret yourself if you do.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads