• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dress watch

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by contaygious
Are you serious? You can't wear a black strap with brown belt/shoes? I'm screwed if I get a Glashutte PanoMaticLunar watch with a black strap then as I am not planning getting another in brown lol. The one with the brown strap is like 20k
frown.gif

No one said "can't." I just don't like it. It looks sloppy and mismatched, like brown shoes with a black belt. But if you're concerned, why not just change the strap? It's very simple.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by contaygious
It seems that stores typically don't let you change the band on a watch when you buy it. For instance if I wanted to get the blue color band with the panomaticlunar they tell me I need to buy the blue face one that comes with it. LAME.

Or ... you can always buy the watch you prefer and buy a second strap.

A decade or so back ... some platinum JLCs had a dark blue strap. I had another version of the watch ... but a shop ordered me a "replacement" band in the deep blue. While a JLC band can costs upward of $200 ... it beats buying another model of the watch just to get the right color band.

In reality ... if you are buying a watch in the league you mention ... many shops will find it in their interest to change the band to the one you prefer ... if that is what it takes for you to buy it. Or more likely ... they will throw in a second band. Given that most watch sellers (even the best) will privately discount such a watch -- except, perhaps, for those models where demand exceeds supply -- by several thousand dollars as part of the deal ... a strap is not that likely to make or break the deal if the price is right from their point of view. You might, however, have to speak to a manager or owner.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
The black dial/brown strap look is so sumptuous I can barely control myself. I covet the ultra-rare Lord Elgin 760 in stainless with the black dial and "X" hour markers just so I can put it on a brown croc/gator strap. I'd even wear that to all but the most serious of business meetings. Yummy!

As I recall ... their calibre 760 was one of the few American made self-winding movements.

Of course, if it's American ... perhaps it's caliber 760.
confused.gif

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
Technically speaking, if its a chrono then it's not a dress watch.

True ... but given the chronograph he selected ... he could certainly wear it with a sport coat ... or with a suit at work.

When it comes to work -- right or wrong -- a quick look around the executive floor tells us that sports and other watches with complications reign supreme.

Oops ... three post in a row on a watch thread ... better watch it or be labeled a WIS.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
As I recall ... their calibre 760 was one of the few American made self-winding movements.

Of course, if it's American ... perhaps it's caliber 760.
confused.gif

Yes and yes. Elgin was the only American company to completely design and manufacture its own auto-winder, and they had two designs (each with two variations): the 607/618, an unsuccessful bumper auto that is now a highly coveted collector's item; and the 760/761, a mechanically simple and ingenious design that has since been praised by European watch authorities.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MDF
My watch strap is yellow...Am I bad?

No, you are good. I don't have yellow, but I do have blue and green. Orange may find its way into my collection as well.

Joseph K. Bank

Reaction score
Since a watch should only be seen by you when you are checking the time in a professional business environment I think the most important quality to consider is that it is small enough that an outline of the watch cannot be seen under your shirt in the rare instance that you are without your jacket.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
The easiest solution? Get a pocket watch and a gold chain.

What if your belt buckle is silver?

contaygious

Reaction score
OK I am going to probably just get the panomaticlunar in black strap and get the second strap in blue as well then if they will sell it to me or throw it in.

So you guys are positive I can wear a blue band as formal right? I've never seen anyone with a blue band before. Also, any idea how difficult it is to change the strap and what is involved on a panomaticlunar? I wouldn't mind changing the strap to make it feel like a brand new watch every once and a while if I could do it myself.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joseph K. Bank
Since a watch should only be seen by you when you are checking the time in a professional business environment I think the most important quality to consider is that it is small enough that an outline of the watch cannot be seen under your shirt in the rare instance that you are without your jacket.

Where the hell did you get this????

Joseph K. Bank

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
Where the hell did you get this????

Well mine is an old Hamilton watch which I inherited but I believe that their are many watches still being made which are of the size which are appropriate to be worn under a suit in a business environment; I can think of Timex off-hand which are very affordable.

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to always want to match my watch band with my belt/shoe colour, then I realised that life is too short to worry about such small things. The watch that gets 80-90% of my wrist time has been put on a steel bracelet recently, making this pretty much a moot point for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads