• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress shoes for wide feet

AlMah

Reaction score
I never owned formal shoes (since I always had problems with the width) but now I need to get one.
What brands have EEE or EEEE oxford or dress shoes?
I look at the following brands with no luck: Bally, john lobb, BOSS, Parada, cesare paciotti. My second option is to have one made for me but I don't know of any good shoe makers in Dubai.

starro

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
can you kindly elaborate?

I'm not sure what you need cleared up. Those two makers offers shoes not only in various lengths, but various widths also. If you want to try vintage, many US makers of yesteryear, e.g. Florsheim, also made shoes in EEE.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are 4E or ˙H ( UK width measure) none of these brands will fit.
Church's makes a very few models in 4E available in their London stores.
Shipton and Henage offers several models in 4E as well. Weston offers their classic
180 model loafer in very wide( they use their own sizing system) Last month i was in
London and made the rounds of several of the RTW high end shoe vendors.
Most do not carry anything wider than 2E or G. You might also check out Dinkelacker
from Budapest and sold out of Germany

http://www.shipton.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?q=H+width&shoe_width=253

http://www.menshoes.de/en/85-extra-wide

Last edited:

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The OP's list of shoemakers - Bally, John Lobb (I would assume John Lobb Paris, the ready-to-wear line), BOSS, Prada, and Cesare Paciotti - are all makers of fairly stylish and sleek shoes, which are not going to be made in EEE or EEEE widths. The only alternatives are, as stated above, to purchase something in more conservative styles that are available ready-made, or to engage a made-to-measure shoemaker. A friend of mine, with a taste for more stylish shoes, and with wide (and mismatched, size-wise) feet, has shoe styles copied in Shanghai, but he has business that keeps him in Shanghai for several months at a time, and Shanghai is a long way from Dubai. Perhaps the OP can find a venue more local to the Middle East that would copy styles of footwear from the makers he lists above, but in his proper size.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually wear a size 13EE or EEE. The main reason why most of my shoes are Allen Edmonds is that AE is extremely good about offering their shoes in multiple widths. It's been my experience that many "fashion" brands cater only to those with medium width feet. (Plenty of non-fashion brands, too.) This is certainly their prerogative, just as it's mine to shop elsewhere.

Alden's also good about the width thing.

In fact, while I won't claim to have exhaustively studied this, it seems to me that, in general, American shoe manufacturers seem a little more likely to offer wide widths, than are their European counterparts. Not that there aren't exceptions to this tendency, on both sides of the Atlantic.

You seem to indicate that you're in Dubai. Unfortunately, I'm absolutely clueless about the retail shoe scene in Dubai.

(As something of an aside, Asics holds a special place in my heart when it comes to running shoes. I was able to find a pair of their Gel Nimbus 17's, in size 13.5 extra wide. I was amazed. Practically nobody offers half sizes beyond 12.5. Not even in dress shoes, much less running shoes. My guess is that someone in upper management at Ascis has unusually large, wide feet.)

AlMah

Reaction score
I would like to thank you all. I ordered Allen Edmonds park avenue cap-toe oxfords, 5875 Merlot Burnished Calf since it was on discount and they had it in 11.5 EEE.
If it fits me, I will go with the same size of shoes from Alden or the cordovan leather shoe by Allen Edmond and give this one away to my brother (he has the exact same size as I do).

Thanks again.

starro

Reaction score
I would like to thank you all. I ordered Allen Edmonds park avenue cap-toe oxfords, 5875 Merlot Burnished Calf since it was on discount and they had it in 11.5 EEE.
If it fits me, I will go with the same size of shoes from Alden or the cordovan leather shoe by Allen Edmond and give this one away to my brother (he has the exact same size as I do).

Thanks again.

The only other thing to pay attention to is the last. Obviously there's more to the foot than length and width. So as you try on different shoes made on different lasts you'll find some lasts fit true to size, some lasts fit only if you go up or go down a size (or a width), and some lasts will never fit you. RTW is always about compromises..

AlMah

Reaction score
Thanks, I got my shoes and they look great. I wore them for a few hours and can say that the width fit perfectly but my heel seems to slip around. It doesn't slip out or anything but it happens enough to make me aware of it. I will keep this pair but am considering getting a smaller one in black. My question is, will the width be affected going from 11.5 EEE to 11 EEE?

My second question is, how do I care for this shoe? I managed to get a scratch on it already.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Shipton and Henage models referred to in my previous post in 4E are made by Sanders & Sanders.
I just received a pair of 3 eyelet Derbies in 4E (H) directly from Sanders at an excellent price. They are very
decent shoes. Not in the class of Ludwig and Reiter, which no longer offer the last that fits me, or C &J, which
could never fit me, or other high end RTW which I would love to buy but ditto, not in my size. Sanders direct
customer service is excellent and their website works without a hitch.

http://www.sanders-uk.com/shop/category/extra-wide-fit

Last edited:

starro

Reaction score
Thanks, I got my shoes and they look great. I wore them for a few hours and can say that the width fit perfectly but my heel seems to slip around. It doesn't slip out or anything but it happens enough to make me aware of it. I will keep this pair but am considering getting a smaller one in black. My question is, will the width be affected going from 11.5 EEE to 11 EEE?

My second question is, how do I care for this shoe? I managed to get a scratch on it already.

Try to lace as tight as (humanly) possible. How much slippage remains? It's normal to have some heel slippage with new shoes. THe leather is stiff, but overtime they soften and bend more with each flex.

What should be part of your basic shoe care routine:
  1. Shoe trees in when feet aren't
  2. Brush before and after each wear
  3. Condition, cream, and wax regularly

With good leather, scuffs can be easily minimized and covered up, if you put in the TLC.

atia2

Reaction score

Try to lace as tight as (humanly) possible. How much slippage remains? It's normal to have some heel slippage with new shoes. THe leather is stiff, but overtime they soften and bend more with each flex.

Agree, let the shoes break in first. You could try some heel liners (e.g. Scholl) if the slippage persists. It's possible that your heel is not EEE while the rest of your foot is.

footwearboss

Reaction score
Toms have been great for my wide feet. I also have ridiculously high arches, and I still find Toms comfortable and cute.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads