• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

double breasted suit: out of style?

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
I'd love to get a DB made for me, but as I work in a rather conservative Japanese company, I'm afraid I might be seen as upstaging my superiors (not that that would stop me from having one made).

Sator, I imagine you might be able to provide some insight on how the DB is perceived in Japan.

I have similar doubts. I am a European patent attorney and here in Spain I mostly deal with R&D and IP staff (inventors and R&D/IP managers) with an often quite "informal" dress code. A chalk-stripe DB suit would probably make some of them raise their eyebrows. On the other hand, I believe to (be known to) be one of the best in my field here in Spain, and I believe that I can get away with it. Yes, I will definitely get one, although I will make sure not to wear it for meetings with certain clients. This DB suit will be my suit project for next autumn (for the hot summers around here, I think I prefer SB, it appears "lighter" to me; also, it appears to me that SB may be more in line with the more "informal" dressing that we sometimes opt for in summer, I mean, like linen, cotton or linen/cotton suits).

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
I think you are in a better position to say. I have never worked in Japan.

That said I think go for it. It is a look you are seeing more of in Men's Ex etc.

Thanks for the input.

Most of the people I see wearing DBs here seem to be middle-aged or older executive types, but I have occasionally seen younger guys wearing them. The number of Japanese men walking around in unbuttoned DB jackets is disconcerting.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa
Yes, I will definitely get one, although I will make sure not to wear it for meetings with certain clients.

I think this is key to pulling it off. For me, being on a relatively low rung in the heirarchy, I would definitely be better off not wearing a DB into a meeting where I would be playing a supporting role. On those rare occasions where I'm in the driver's seat, a DB would be a excellent suit to wear.

Recently, I met with a rep for an investors' information service who was wearing a navy chalkstripe DB that remained unbuttoned and cufflinks that didn't match. One was metal and one was a silk knot.
crazy.gif

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can see there is no interest in DB suits in the forum or the USA

I tried to sell this PZ sartoriale DB brown suit 2 times in the Buying and Selling Forum and it gets no interest....

And is a top notch suit fully canvased, napolitanian shoulders, slim fit ( like bogart's ) in the most demanded size 38R ... 80% off

maybe if I remove "DB" from the thread title it would get more views...

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=27113

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this is key to pulling it off. For me, being on a relatively low rung in the heirarchy, I would definitely be better off not wearing a DB into a meeting where I would be playing a supporting role. On those rare occasions where I'm in the driver's seat, a DB would be a excellent suit to wear.

Recently, I met with a rep for an investors' information service who was wearing a navy chalkstripe DB that remained unbuttoned and cufflinks that didn't match. One was metal and one was a silk knot.
crazy.gif

Am I wrong if I believe that DB looks worse unbuttoned than SB?

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa
Am I wrong if I believe that DB looks worse unbuttoned than SB?

Not at all. It looks horrible because leaving it unbuttoned makes it drape in an unsightly way. Leaving an SB unbuttoned really doesn't affect the way it drapes.

An unbuttoned DB is a major sartorial faux pas.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not at all. It looks horrible because leaving it unbuttoned makes it drape in an unsightly way. Leaving an SB unbuttoned really doesn't affect the way it drapes.

An unbuttoned DB is a major sartorial faux pas.

Hey, now I will have nightmares with flashbacks to the time I wore those polXXster Pierre Cardin DBs open...

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
I can see there is no interest in DB suits in the forum or the USA

I tried to sell this PZ sartoriale DB brown suit 2 times in the Buying and Selling Forum and it gets no interest....

And is a top notch suit fully canvased, napolitanian shoulders, slim fit ( like bogart's ) in the most demanded size 38R ... 80% off

maybe if I remove "DB" from the thread title it would get more views...

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=27113

In my case you have to make it a colour other than brown...

Fritz

Reaction score
Sator,
I don't understand the difference between a 6 x1 and a 4x1 with two additional non-functional buttons. Could you please clarify this?

nioh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
Out of fashion (that's why I wear them) but out of style? - never!

Couldn't have said it better myself. If done right it can pretty much outshine a SB any day of the week.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fritz
Sator,
I don't understand the difference between a 6 x1 and a 4x1 with two additional non-functional buttons. Could you please clarify this?

OK maybe I should explain it in German. Now German and Italian tailors may not use terms such as "4x1" "6x2" etc but may express the same thing differently.

Hier sieht man 3 verschiedenen Doppelreiher:

Von Links nach Rechts: 4x1, 6x2, 6x3.

4x1 bedeutet einfach daß die Jacke vier Knöpfe hat aber nur mit einer davon wird die Jacke geschlossen. Wenn man eine 4x1 Jacke nimmt und der Jacke noch zwei zusätzlichen nicht-funktionierenden oberen Knopfen gibt dann wird sie eine 6x1 Jacke:

http://www.styleforum.net/attachment...6&d=1167936899

6x2 bedeutet natürlich daß die Jacke sechs Knöpfe hat, und zwei davon wird benutzt die Jacke um zu schließen.

6x3 sieht man selten mit der Ausnahme von militärischen Uniformen. 6x2 sieht man am häufigsten.

Natürlich ist sind 8x3, 8x4, 10x4 usw. möglich aber das gehört zum Bereich von historischen Kostüm.

Hopefully that made it clearer!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads