• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Donate to science and contribute to Team ****!

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok seriously, I'm not sure that's what it should be called, but SF has a lot of members now. I know you're all just wasting your CPU cycles posting in the CEsspool all day and not doing any meaningful work with your processors.

How many of you are running some kind of distributed computing client? If you aren't, you should be. It costs you nothing and you won't notice it running in the background, but you'll be contributing to help solve real scientific problems. If even a fraction of SF donates their CPU or GPU processing, that will amount to a fairly significant amount of processing power.

I like Folding@home, as I think it's the most likely to yield beneficial results in the short to medium term, but there are a ton of programs, and we could setup TeamStyleforum for multiple projects. Members could choose which ones to contribute to depending on what's most important to them.

I stress that these programs are very simple to operate and are designed to be non-invasive. They won't kill your CPU while you're trying to work on an important spreadsheet or anything like that. They operate in the background.

There are generally two types of clients, depending on the project. For Folding@home there are clients that run on your video card and clients that run on your CPU. There are also clients for multi-core processors. You can actually run both GPU and CPU clients at the same time. Put them to good use, I say.

Any interest in this?

Here is are two lists of compatible GPUs for the GPU clients (ATI or nVidia video cards): http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_gpus.html
http://developer.amd.com/gpu/ATIStre...uirements.aspx

Here is a list of the projects that make use of distributed computing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...uting_projects

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads