Dolce & Gabbana

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Holdfast, Oct 24, 2008.

1. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Senior member

I bought a pair of there glasses because I liked the look. Don't care much about the name. I think most people reference it as a gay brand. I had some people ask me if I was a gay guy because I was wearing D&G branded glasses. They were the thick black nerdy kind. And no, im not gay.

2. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

^Why would it matter if you were or not? If you like them, wear them.

I don't see that we're really accomplishing anything else about Dolce&Gabbana here. So, I'll give my last two cents, gathered from what others have said and from probably 10-12 years of DG buying (not as much recently, but definitely a lot 1998-2002):

1) They still make some nice sartorial items with a nice fit, only that these items are tougher to find because they get a whole lot more press and attention (and a higher profit margin) from douchebaggy club wear. Quality is often quite good (or, at least, traditionally it was), especially with their Ruffo-made leather items. For certain body types, too, their jeans can have a very flattering shape. Many items have lots of hideous Logos and plaques on them, many don't. You just have to look through and see what they have; they're a HUGE brand and literally make something for every niche in the market.

2) How the brand is perceived depends largely on your culture. In Japan, DG is what "manly, straight, sexy" young guys wear, but in the US, it is definitely more popular with TEH GHEYZ. Europe is probably a mix, but typically I think it was intended more for beefy Italian types, and not TEH GHEYZ.

3) Russian oligarch money is diluting the brand and making it undesirable. See Versace. See Gianfranco Ferre.

3. academe

academe Senior member

^^^

+1... I have a few of their sartorial items, both mainline and otherwise, and the quality seems quite good. I've had a tweedy odd jacket from one of their diffusion lines ("&") that I bought 10-15 years ago which still looks excellent and fits well. I see them marketing themselves as a "lifestyle" brand... Essentially trying to sell their consumers a whole wardrobe, ranging from formal wear for work or special occasions, to the "trashier" club wear, for going out... I think the designers have a certain kind of vision for what they would wear for these various different social occasions, which they replicate in their collections. It's always struck my as a kind of decadent Mediterranean aesthetic - the very correct pinstripes, etc. for business meetings and the office, the more lurid streetwear for hitting the clubs in St Tropez...

4. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

PS - Nice avatar! ;-)

You too!

5. GQBaller

GQBaller Senior member

These suits look pretty decent (first main line, second is D&G): [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

^^^ These look okay. I've owned their suits and topcoats in the past when slim fitting garments weren't as readily available as today. I wouldn't consider them for purchase now though.

7. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

They have the outright stupidest ads in history.

8. winston

winston Senior member

^^^ These look okay. I've owned their suits and topcoats in the past when slim fitting garments weren't as readily available as today. I wouldn't consider them for purchase now though.

They look better than OK. If a SF member wore one of those suits, and they fit as well as on the model there, then they would be heaped in praise. (especially if the brand remained undisclosed) In fact, those photos resemble some of the WAYWN photos which are heaped in praise.

9. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

These suits look pretty decent (first main line, second is D&G):

[​IMG]

I really like this one.

10. ChiliPalmer

ChiliPalmer Senior member

I have this overcoat from them:

[​IMG]

And to think I've never worn it.

A business casual work environment isn't all it's cracked up to be.

11. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

Never owned their suit, tried on once, it almost seems like they have two lines of fit, one is quite slim and the other one is muscle type (not bulky kind though), am I the only one who find that is the case[​IMG]

12. emmanuel

emmanuel Senior member

Has anyone even been to their boutique on Madison ave? It isnt full of jeans with plaques and t-shirts with logos. They actually have some great stuff. Their runway shows are rather good too.

13. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

I know what you're talking about, the madison one's 2nd floor have a lot suit, some dress shoes that's actually classy enough I would wear (except I would always end up near the JM Weston or Santoni near by so never bought shoe there).

14. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Has anyone even been to their boutique on Madison ave? It isnt full of jeans with plaques and t-shirts with logos. They actually have some great stuff. Their runway shows are rather good too.
    I've been several times, and have bought quite a bit from the store over the years. However, for the last couple of years I've stopped in but haven't made any purchases.

15. dizzhizz

dizzhizz Senior member

Where I'm from, Dolce & Gabbana jeans with the shiniest plaque possible is a must for guys and gals looking to get some attention from sugar mommys and daddys.

I own a couple of items from the mainline, both shoes, and I have to say that they are unique in their designs and look very classy. My wingtips get the most compliments. Most items in Korea tend to be on the blingy/flashy side, to appeal to the masses of Douchebags and whores, however, there exists a select few of finely made and cut pieces that remain discreet in their branding.

yeah i see a lot of those gold plaques on shirts and denim a lot here in korea too but for the most part, i think the suits are well made although a bit too expensive. lapels are cut on the thinner side so i'm thinking that the overall target range has to be guys and girls in the upper 20s/lower to mid 30s out here in korea especially. i know some kids who swear by their denim/casual line but that gold plaque is quite bothersome.