• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Doing things alone

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
Why? I prefer going to movies alone. I tend to get absorbed in them so it is better without anyone distracting me.

I've had friends comment that my habit of going to movies alone is really "sad'. Never understood that
confused.gif

So true. It also depends on the movie... if it's a comedy, or horror movie I'd rather go in a group. I rarely go see those kind of movies anyways, so for the most part I am a loner at the theater.

Come think of it... I am a freaking loner!
crackup[1].gif

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread reminds me of the line in Heat where De Niro's character states "I am not lonely...I am...alone." That was quite the line, probably made him seem like the loneliest person in the world.

Remember, desperate people aren't the ones who seem the most eager...the truly desperate are the ones who try not to seem so...just like how a true alcoholic doesn't act like a raging drunk, he's too busy trying to appear sober.

cmrocks

Reaction score
Great thread.

I'm sort of on the fence with this. I like my alone time but I also find that I get very withdrawn into myself and then depressed if I spend too much time alone.

Some things, like shopping, I have to do alone. I feel bad if I'm holding someone up by trying on a bunch of stuff and I like going to specific stores. I like to take my time and think before I just buy. I often go out for coffee by myself and bring something to work on or something to read. I find that nice and relaxing.

I've never actually been to a movie alone but I don't think it would bother me. I don't really eat alone either. I have before while I'm travelling and it doesn't bother me at all. It's just that if I'm by myself, at home, I'll cook something to eat rather than go out.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Same for me. Not to mention that I hate the mandatory "so...did you like it?" chat at the end of the movie. I need a bit of time to digest a film and think about it before I can formulate an opinion. Of course, I know whether or not I enjoyed watching the film in an immediate passive kind of way, but most of the times, I really truly don't know if I liked the film right after the credits.

It seems that you and I are annoyed by similar things when it comes to going to the movies.
laugh.gif
I tend to avoid going to the movies on dates because after it's over, it is exactly that question that irritates me, more or less depending on the type of film.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what is exactly so irritating about someone asking you what you thought about a movie? its like getting upset when someone asks you how your day was. seems like a pretty stupid thing to be annoyed at.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
what is exactly so irritating about someone asking you what you thought about a movie? its like getting upset when someone asks you how your day was. seems like a pretty stupid thing to be annoyed at.
Since you refer to them as movies rather than films, I guess you'll never understand.
lol8[1].gif

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fade to Black
This thread reminds me of the line in Heat where De Niro's character states "I am not lonely...I am...alone." That was quite the line, probably made him seem like the loneliest person in the world. Remember, desperate people aren't the ones who seem the most eager...the truly desperate are the ones who try not to seem so...just like how a true alcoholic doesn't act like a raging drunk, he's too busy trying to appear sober.
It's funny, I was watching Heat again just today, and I'm always impressed by the depth DeNiro and Pacino's characters show in the most mundane scene. One of my favourite movies, Mann loves making movies about people who can't function healthily function in society.
Originally Posted by hopkins_student
Since you refer to them as movies rather than films, I guess you'll never understand.
lol8[1].gif

...right, add me to that list.

trajan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
So true. It also depends on the movie... if it's a comedy, or horror movie I'd rather go in a group. I rarely go see those kind of movies anyways, so for the most part I am a loner at the theater.

Come think of it... I am a freaking loner!
crackup[1].gif

Hehe. I watch movies alone all the time, all kinds of movies. A month ago when I saw some romantic comedy, even the persons selling the tickets looked weird at me and they could barely contain their laugh. I feel very comfortable doing everything, movies, museums, clubs, and even restaurants.

--trajan

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Liberty Ship
Try getting married. You'll get used to doing things alone pretty quickly.
rimshot.gif

laugh.gif

doink

Reaction score
I do most things alone, concerts, movies, shopping, galleries and eating out (cheap places).

I don't go to bars alone, except to see music. This won't change.

I have not gone to the theater alone, but probably will soon. Finally, I have not eaten at good restaurants alone for dinner. That seems like a waste to me, part of the enjoyment of good meals is sharing it with others.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don't like to think about movies. I go for entertainment and not to analyze them. I spend my entire day analyzing stuff. At movies I just want to be entertained without the expectation that I'm going to have to think about or be quizzed on them after.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn't irritate me but I just don't like to voice my opinion when I haven't had much time or chance to think about it and formulate such opinion. Sure, I go along with the small talk and don't bark at people that I hate the "did you like it" conversation, but I don't feel comfortable giving a half-baked answer - since I generally don't really know what I thought of a movie (happy hopkins?
wink.gif
) right when the lights come back on. I can't imagine I'm the only one like this...?

Re: the "film" vs "movie" comment, it's really because English is my second language and it's more natural to call a film a film. I wasn't aware that it was pedantic or whatever is implied in hopkins's post

Originally Posted by GQgeek
I don't like to think about movies. I go for entertainment and not to analyze them. I spend my entire day analyzing stuff. At movies I just want to be entertained without the expectation that I'm going to have to think about or be quizzed on them after.

Well then, this confirms that we're actually total opposites.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
I hate waiting for other people to make up their damn minds about what they want to do. You can do twice as many things alone as you could sitting around waiting for people.

Nobody can stick to a schedule anyhow.... "uh, just call me later" is not a schedule.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads