• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Doesn't anyone wash their jeans on a regular basis around here?

The Dentist

Reaction score
While browsing through the forum I was very surprised to read that many people rarely washed their jeans, one guy even had a pair he hadn't washed in 5 years! The average wearer seems to wash his jeans once a year. Why? I mean I wash my jeans once a month and while I throw my Levi's away after about a year when the first hole appears I can not imagine that never washing the jeans would make them last longer, would it?

If anyone has some insight on this and can recommend a good jeans brand that will still look like new in a couple of years I'd very much to hear about it!

smile.gif

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Most people want fades on their jeans? You want something like the Triple Works or Ironheart "permanent dye" models. They will cost about 10 times more than your Levi's.

Last edited:

The Dentist

Reaction score
Most people want fades on their jeans? You want something like the Triple Works or Ironheart "permanent dye" models. They will cost about 10 times more than your Levi's.
My jeans are a bit lighter now, sure, but the colour hasn't faded in a way that is noticeable.

VirtruviusR

Reaction score
He's trolling. If you are just wearing your normal chemically rinsed/washed/faded jeans (or even perma-treated/dyed normal people indigo jawns) then washing them regularly isn't going to do much of anything other than, ya know, cleaning them and perhaps putting some additional wear on them (if you're just throwing it in the washer/dryer machine).

However, if you buy untreated raw/rigid indigo jeans, these actively lose indigo dye as they are broken in and worn thus leading to organic/individual fading and eventually a unique jean. People stray away from washing because a wash will massively accelerate this process, and unless the jeans have been significantly faded or worn in, it will result in a very boring '70s/light wash jean with very little to show for having bought a pricey raw denim jean.

Plus it's fun breaking in raw denim (at least it is novel for the first few times around) and watching them transform to represent the way you live your life (for instance, I have a lot of asymmetrical/random wear on my current raws, because I've done a good bit of falling and general marsupialedness running around as a debauched college student and the individual wear spots are actually nights in my life I can point to and recall memories over). Washing them really early on would basically wipe the slate clean and ruin the tapestry-like nature (lol) of dem jawns.

The Dentist

Reaction score
He's trolling. If you are just wearing your normal chemically rinsed/washed/faded jeans (or even perma-treated/dyed normal people indigo jawns) then washing them regularly isn't going to do much of anything other than, ya know, cleaning them and perhaps putting some additional wear on them (if you're just throwing it in the washer/dryer machine).

However, if you buy untreated raw/rigid indigo jeans, these actively lose indigo dye as they are broken in and worn thus leading to organic/individual fading and eventually a unique jean. People stray away from washing because a wash will massively accelerate this process, and unless the jeans have been significantly faded or worn in, it will result in a very boring '70s/light wash jean with very little to show for having bought a pricey raw denim jean.

Plus it's fun breaking in raw denim (at least it is novel for the first few times around) and watching them transform to represent the way you live your life (for instance, I have a lot of asymmetrical/random wear on my current raws, because I've done a good bit of falling and general marsupialedness running around as a debauched college student and the individual wear spots are actually nights in my life I can point to and recall memories over). Washing them really early on would basically wipe the slate clean and ruin the tapestry-like nature (lol) of dem jawns.
Ah I see, so basically don't wash expensive Japanese Jeans because they fade easily but wash regular jeans like Levis, APC etc... Right? I know dryers damage clothing which is why I don't even own one but I didn't think the washer could be harmful to clothing.

VirtruviusR

Reaction score
Ah I see, so basically don't wash expensive Japanese Jeans because they fade easily but wash regular jeans like Levis, APC etc... Right? I know dryers damage clothing which is why I don't even own one but I didn't think the washer could be harmful to clothing.
No APC's are raw, actually, so you probably don't want to wash them. You can wash some expensive denim, such as pre-washed/faded diors and such (though you need to account for the fact that there will be some shrinkage and possibly more fade-age). Hell you can wash raws, if you want to. However, it completely defeats the purpose. But any denim you get at the mall, more or less, is something you can toss in the wash/made to be tossed in the wash for the most part. Also, a lot of denim that is raw/rigid will a) say so on the documentation and b) not that they bleed indigo dye heavily (and usually will say something about them not needing to be washed for fadings sake).

As an aside, not washing your denim actually doesn't make it much nastier than regularly washed denim. There was a great video debunking the idea that a) freezing jawns makes them cleaner and b) regularly washed jawns are way more clean than well-worn raws. The bacteria in both the unwashed/lived in raw and the washed jeans had pretty much the same amount/types of bacteria in them.

As for washers damaging jeans, not really, as long as you go cold and gentle anyway.

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I mean I wash my jeans once a month and while I throw my Levi's away after about a year when the first hole appears:)

So your jeans only last a year? Do you just buy one pair? A year seems like a short life period for jeans, no?

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

While browsing through the forum I was very surprised to read that many people rarely washed their jeans, one guy even had a pair he hadn't washed in 5 years! The average wearer seems to wash his jeans once a year. Why? I mean I wash my jeans once a month and while I throw my Levi's away after about a year when the first hole appears I can not imagine that never washing the jeans would make them last longer, would it?

I usually wash my jeans every couple of weeks, as part of my regular laundry routine. I don't wear the same pair all the time, There's usually two or three pairs in rotation, but I'm usually wearing jeans most days. Find generally last about year to18 months before they start to fall apart or fray or rip or get holes or otherwise become unacceptable. Which I find OK. I only buy Levis or Jeep or Jack & Jones or even just the supermarket ones, nothing expensive, like Evisu or whatever. If didn't wash them, they'd probably start to pen and ink after a while.

Last edited:

The Dentist

Reaction score
No APC's are raw, actually, so you probably don't want to wash them. You can wash some expensive denim, such as pre-washed/faded diors and such (though you need to account for the fact that there will be some shrinkage and possibly more fade-age). Hell you can wash raws, if you want to. However, it completely defeats the purpose. But any denim you get at the mall, more or less, is something you can toss in the wash/made to be tossed in the wash for the most part. Also, a lot of denim that is raw/rigid will a) say so on the documentation and b) not that they bleed indigo dye heavily (and usually will say something about them not needing to be washed for fadings sake).

As an aside, not washing your denim actually doesn't make it much nastier than regularly washed denim. There was a great video debunking the idea that a) freezing jawns makes them cleaner and b) regularly washed jawns are way more clean than well-worn raws. The bacteria in both the unwashed/lived in raw and the washed jeans had pretty much the same amount/types of bacteria in them.

As for washers damaging jeans, not really, as long as you go cold and gentle anyway.

So is RAW superior quality than regular denim or inferior? I'm kinda confused. What do I want to get for tough as nails jeans? A female friend of mine works at APC and recently gave me a pair, does this mean I should not wash them with my dress shirts and other clothing because they risk staining the other clothing?

Quote:
I only own three pairs and I usually wear them for a whole week, sometimes two before I wash them and wear another pair for the same amount of time.

Ideally I want some dark jeans that will stay quite dark and last a really long time as well as a much lighter but faded pair for the summer that will also last a long time. I also want buttons rather than a zipper. My work involves getting into all sorts of crazy positions and I spend a lot of time on my knees, sometimes crouching and generally with my legs touching the concrete or the ground so I guess that would be pretty tough on jeans. What's my best under 200 Euros option?

crosswound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you figure for a dentist buying jeans new and dark every 1-2 years would be no problem.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads