• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you wish for your children a dream you yourself have not achieved?

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
don't have kids...

yes i do have "wishes" but as long as he/she can honestly say he/she is happy then i think that'll be good enough for me.

however, there are some things that i will try to steer them towards to see if that peaks their interest or i may try to push them in a certain direction harder than others. i feel like at times, children don't know what they want until it's too late.

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your natural tendency is to want your children to achieve what you wanted but couldn't achieve.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
My perspective may change as my son gets older (he's an infant), but, as of right now, all I want for him is happiness. It would be cool if he ends up as a brilliant writer, or a professional athlete, or whatever, but as long as he can look me in the eye when he's an adult and say "dad, I'm truly happy with where my life has ended up," I don't care if he's a janitor.

this. while I hope for my children to achieve great things I haven't, the most important thing is that they are happy with who they are.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have kids, and I don't want them to set my dreams as their goal (well except for the obvious stuff- happy life, well-compensated career, healthy relationship with the family...). I'd encourage them to set their own goals when they're at that age to start thinking about it.

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
this. while I hope for my children to achieve great things I haven't, the most important thing is that they are happy with who they are.

Quoted for truth. Children are not carbon copies of their parents. I just want my boys to do something with their lives that makes them happy and gives them some kind of direction. If they can start their independent lives as confident, emotionally balanced, skilled, debt-free adults, then I'll consider myself to have done my part.

kwiteaboy

Reaction score
I swam competitively, but I would like my son to play a real sport that I would enjoy watching.

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like my kids (not that I have any) to play for Leeds, 1) so they get to play for Leeds and 2) so I can get free home and away season ticket and they can pay for my travel.

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sir Humphrey Appleby
I'd like my kids (not that I have any) to play for Leeds, 1) so they get to play for Leeds and 2) so I can get free home and away season ticket and they can pay for my travel.

+1 (But not for Leeds).

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reynard369
+1 (But not for Leeds).

Well as long as he didn't play for Millwall or Man Utd just being a professional footballer would be a pretty proud moment. Obviously if he did play for one of those I would never speak to him again
boxing[1].gif
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads