• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you wear a uniform?

Atreus

Reaction score
What I mean is that do you wear a regular set or style of clothes that don't really differ from day to day? Like how Steve Jobs owns the black turtle neck and jeans look, except maybe not that severe.

I must say, I like the idea of just grabbing something from my closet and looking good without having to put any real thought into it. That's sort of my goal is to find a look that is mine and run with it. What about you guys, what do you think about the minimalist uniform approach to style? (if you have one, explain your "uniform")

IBJanky

Reaction score
My uniform at work looks a little something like this:

motor-by-trees.jpg

I never have to think about what I have to wear for work, lol
wink.gif

myke

MrBon

Reaction score
Maybe we should wear a uniform, just like STAR TREK, everyone wears a jump suit, it wouldn't do much for the fashion/clothes/designer industry, but it would relieve a lot of pressure of WHAT TO WEAR!

Atreus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrBon
Maybe we should wear a uniform, just like STAR TREK, everyone wears a jump suit, it wouldn't do much for the fashion/clothes/designer industry, but it would relieve a lot of pressure of WHAT TO WEAR!

I think the star trek uniforms are it bit tight up in the nether regions. Maybe we need something a bit classier. How about the french royalty look?
rigaurd%20louis%20xiv-resized-600.jpg

Joe Cool

Reaction score
^^^^^ How does he get that crown on over the Paul Stanley hair?

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Your question starts from a faulty assumption, at least for me. There's no appeal to me in not having to take the time to mix and match. Part of the reason I enjoy clothing is because I like to figure out what matches what. This being the case, a uniform, or relatively uniform clothing, would run contrary to one of the reasons I enjoy clothing in the first place.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like to think of my clothing as a uniform. I think, to an extent, we all do. We each impose limits on ourselves.

The misconception is that limitations destroy creativity and individuality. I think, in fact, boundaries and rules, even if self-imposed, are exactly what allow one to refine ideas and communicate effectively.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I like to think of my clothing as a uniform. I think, to an extent, we all do. We each impose limits on ourselves.

The misconception is that limitations destroy creativity and individuality. I think, in fact, boundaries and rules, even if self-imposed, are exactly what allow one to refine ideas and communicate effectively.

This is true. I suppose for me it's a question of how narrowly one has to define their own style before it becomes a "uniform." There are certainly boundaries to what I'll wear, but I think those boundaries are wide enough that I wouldn't consider my style a uniform per se.

This is, admittedly, quite subjective.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would imagine that most guys have some sort of a "uniform," or at least some general guidelines for day-to-day wear. It can be boring at times, but it's certainly a good base to build an individual's sense of style.

For work I shoot for the slim chino/slim button down dress casual combo. JCrew, Uniqlo, and Incotex Chinos with tailored PRL, Brooks Bros, or JCrew Button Downs. Depending on the weather, I have a navy blazer and some patterned cashmere/wool blend jackets. I find matching the pattern and color of these jackets, shirts, and chinos a lot of fun, although it may get boring after a while. For sweaters, I'll wear a variety of simple v-necks or sweater vests. I have a few pairs of shoes; brown captoes, burgundy longwings, and some dressier topsiders. Overall, it's a simple wardrobe for a mid 20-something in a casual workplace. I would like to expand with some wool slacks and nicer shoes, but all in due time.

Casually, I wear denim all the time. I'm in the process of wearing in my APC New Standards. If I'm just wearing a t-shirt, I'll wear something from the thrift store or plain white Hanes. I have a couple buttondowns which have been tailored and work well untucked. I also have a little collection of western shirts; half thrift store, half store-bought. Sometimes I'll throw on a flannel. For shoes, I have a pair of Chucks, a pair of Vans authentics, and the Topsiders listed above.

Boring? Probably.

pdial

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
If that was purely accidental then that is pretty ******* cool

Yeah I got lucky on this one. When I first saw the title I thought it was a thread that Foo started because he has mentioned a few times how he thinks of his clothing as a uniform.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads