• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you prefer your coats buttoned or unbuttoned

Butterfly

Reaction score
A first rate jacket I find is tailored to hang easily with only an inch or two in the gap when unbuttoned, without looking either tight or sloppy, and buttons up without undue pulling.

The fact is there is simply no rule to fall back on, other than what you feel most inclined for and what looks best with your own particular body and ensemble.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Butterfly
A first rate jacket I find is tailored to hang easily with only an inch or two in the gap when unbuttoned, without looking either tight or sloppy, and buttons up without undue pulling.

The fact is there is simply no rule to fall back on, other than what you feel most inclined for and what looks best with your own particular body and ensemble.

well, most "designer" jackett has this feature, my Versace/Gucci suit jacket all hung really well without buttoning and no pulling when buttoned..., so I am not sure if this is always a good indication, quality wise.

On the other hand, my St. Andrew jacket hung reasonably well when unbuttoned (that one is less structured to start with) but not to the same extend as my Versace jacket, kind made you wondering if Versace ask Zegna to sewn a piece of iron plate inside it...

I think it has something to do with how nipped the waist is and where the middle button (if 3 button) or 1st button is. If it's fairly nipped on the waist, and the buttons are mid to high, they seem to remain that particular shape when buttoned, when they're low, the jacket "spread" out wider if you know what I mean.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
90% unbuttoned. But, I'm a "louche wastrel."

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Well, it's never too late to correct this...unless you feel that people have photos.

Hey, I'm not coming up with this on my own. The reaction is like the one with that kid that used to have the iron creased jeans and couldn't sit down on the ground.

I knew it was OK to leave the jacket undone, but it never occurred to me that not to leave it undone would be wrong. It just feels weird to have a coat flapping around when I walk.

I presume also that this applies to 3pc suits only, and not odd vests (either with a suit or sport jacket)? I like that only a small amount of the vest is visible when it is very different from the coat.

kannoos

Reaction score
2gwg9lc.jpg

Anthony Eden wearing the coat of his three piece suit buttoned.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
I knew it was OK to leave the jacket undone, but it never occurred to me that not to leave it undone would be wrong. It just feels weird to have a coat flapping around when I walk.

I presume also that this applies to 3pc suits only, and not odd vests (either with a suit or sport jacket)? I like that only a small amount of the vest is visible when it is very different from the coat.

Don't listen to Buffy...either is fine.

- B

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Don't listen to Buffy...either is fine.

- B

+1. Yet another made up rule from Buffy the Rule Slayer.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
I knew it was OK to leave the jacket undone, but it never occurred to me that not to leave it undone would be wrong. It just feels weird to have a coat flapping around when I walk. I presume also that this applies to 3pc suits only, and not odd vests (either with a suit or sport jacket)? I like that only a small amount of the vest is visible when it is very different from the coat.
It's not wrong, it just looks prissy, uptight, anxious, checklist-bound petty bourgeois to a certain crowd and one more likely to notice what you're doing than even care about clothes themselves. Your coat shouldn't flap around that much when you walk, unless it's windy outside or your on a jet ski, in which case, button up. Look, if you don't care about that crowd, then you shouldn't worry. I would imagine that a SF convention might chastise you for not buttoning your three pc suit. However, there's more to be learned about when to do or not do something than, say, which style and shade of shoe to wear. I see a lot of people wearing clothes that are technically correct but fail on social signals. Where can I point a crowd that only believes it if it's in print? And then there's the democratic support group, don't listen to him? If that could only make it true or not. I have no reason to bring these matters up except to help out.

Butterfly

Reaction score
Film Noir Buff's theoretical defense of his opinion is sensible; the opinion itself just happens to be hyperbolic, neurotic nonsense.

It's no skin off my nose as I'd just as soon leave it unbuttoned.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Butterfly
Film Noir Buff's theoretical defense of his opinion is sensible in theory; the opinion itself just happens to be hyperbolic, neurotic nonsense.
Only because you may be taking it personally and it is not MY opinion, it is an unwritten custom of sorts. But if you feel attacking me makes it not exist, then you shouldn't worry about it at all.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kannoos
Anthony Eden was "neurotic, nerdy, stiff and lower class"?
Gee what's that in his arms. an overcoat? Think it might be chilly enough to button your jacket outside? Not to mention he would be considered oddly stiff over here, I was referring to North America not England, not Singapore or anywhere else where you wear your jacket buttoned even wen on the commode
tongue.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads