1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Do you prefer your coats buttoned or unbuttoned

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GuidoWongolini, May 21, 2009.

1. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Senior member

Buttoned. Better Silhouette.

2. rammie

rammie Well-Known Member

Definitely buttoned. It gets too flappy otherwise, even if the jacket is a good fit.

3. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

Buttoned, unless I can't because it is too small. Yeah, I have a few of those...they are very casual though.

4. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

I'm tradional, buttoned when standing and unbuttoned when sitting.

5. agavilanes

agavilanes Senior member

6. jhao

jhao Senior member

7. LexSenthur

LexSenthur Senior member

If I'm standing, it's buttoned.

This.

8. eg1

eg1 Senior member

Like my fly, buttoned unless I forget.

9. A Y

A Y Senior member

Buttoned unless it's a 3-piece SB.

--Andre

10. Butterfly

Butterfly Senior member

I'm tradional, buttoned when standing and unbuttoned when sitting.
    If you wear 3-pc singlebreasteds, as you do in your avatar, then it is neither traditional nor untraditional to button or unbutton the coat when standing. It is simply a matter of personal preference. A thousand and one vintage fashion illustrations will bear this out. My avatar man has his coat buttoned and he's no tradition-bound burgermeister, he's a louche wastrel.

11. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

They're usually DB's so buttoned-duh.

12. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

If you wear 3-pc singlebreasteds, as you do in your avatar, then it is neither traditional nor untraditional to button or unbutton the coat when standing. It is simply a matter of personal preference. A thousand and one vintage fashion illustrations will bear this out. My avatar man has his coat buttoned and he's no tradition-bound burgermeister, he's a louche wastrel.
    Only someone really uptight would button the jacket of a three piece suit. Maybe if it was very windy outside but it's along the lines of both belt AND suspenders.

13. Butterfly

Butterfly Senior member

Only someone really uptight would button the jacket of a three piece suit. Maybe if it was very windy outside but it's along the lines of both belt AND suspenders.
    Actually it's the polar opposite of belt with suspenders. That just looks ugly, whereas the other look is sometimes sublime, especially if it's a contrasting waistcoat.

14. Film Noir Buff

Actually it's the polar opposite of belt with suspenders. That just looks ugly, whereas the other look is sometimes sublime, especially if it's a contrasting waistcoat.
    Absent exigent circumstances, buttoning the jacket of a 3pc suit is neurotic, nerdy, stiff and lower class.

15. Butterfly

Butterfly Senior member

Absent exigent circumstances, buttoning the jacket of a 3pc suit is neurotic, nerdy, stiff and lower class.

*Avatar knocks you unconscious with his stick*

16. eg1

eg1 Senior member

Then, to varying degrees, I claim them all! [​IMG]

17. Film Noir Buff

Then, to varying degrees, I claim them all! [​IMG]
    Well, it's never too late to correct this...unless you feel that people have photos. Hey, I'm not coming up with this on my own. The reaction is like the one with that kid that used to have the iron creased jeans and couldn't sit down on the ground.

18. Nuff said

Nuff said Senior member

I say buttoned on a correctly fitting jacket. Some sportscoats can look good unbuttoned. If they do though they're probably too tight to button up without pulling anyway.

19. b99flick

b99flick Well-Known Member

With the ensemble and photos provided, I prefer the look of the buttoned hands down. However, being in Texas I fully understand the heat and humidity and say you have to go unbuttoned when not directly under air conditioning.

20. Butterfly

Butterfly Senior member

I say buttoned on a correctly fitting jacket. Some sportscoats can look good unbuttoned. If they do though they're probably too tight to button up without pulling anyway.

Not in the world of properly tailored clothing.