• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you like sushis?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cavalier
there is a customary word in Japanese for it someone else can share...

Omakase shimasu...which basically means "Please decide...I trust you."

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cavalier
It's only douchy because you aren't sitting at the sushi bar when you ask for that

It's very common to tell the chef to make his choice, in fact there is a customary word in Japanese for it someone else can share...

Is that because I should be watching him while he makes it?

I'm pretty clueless about sushi etiquette.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Is that because I should be watching him while he makes it? I'm pretty clueless about sushi etiquette.
Sort of. I'd think it's more about the chef seeing your reactions so he can adjust the dishes that he's going to serve you. And each time you come back, he'll have a better idea of your preferences.
Originally Posted by Szeph el ratón
Unagi... oh my gosh... I wanted to go to the gym right now but now I'm not quite sure if I shouldn't be on my way for dinner instead. I liked everything I've tasted so far. The weird part is that I started my sushi addiction with salmon and now exactly that is the last thing I'd order when out for sushi. Do we count only the dead fish stuff or also the things with non-fishie ingredients? I like tamagoyaki on my nigiri.
I like to take frozen unagi, nuke it, put it in a bowl of rice for unadon. If I'm at a restaurant I don't get much unagi or sake since I can prepare them at home fairly easily. I like to order toro (otoro!), amaebi.

Qzar

Reaction score
I love sushi... It's almost a religion for me... unfortunately one that I seldom practice (not on my own free will that's for sure).

I'm absolutely repulsed by the crap that Americans are starting to love as sushi. I mean at first it was intriguing. I very naively thought it was original and exciting when I visited a restaurant that served tempura in their sushi and dressed it with all sorts of roes and sauces. I guess I had been living under a rock (or living at a neighborhood sushi joint that actually served traditional sushi... with a Japanese trained chef!). When I moved I was shocked (yeah SHOCKED! haha) to discover that it's basically impossible to find traditional sushi anywhere in suburban America.

I am now surrounded by sushi "fanatics" who basically couldn't tell me the difference between their spicy tuna roll and their naked man on top of fiery mountain covered in fiery cloak of doom roll. That **** all tastes the same... I mean it doesn't taste bad... but it's not sushi. It wasn't until I basically demanded I be served a naigri roll (which is almost unexisistant around here... along with sashimi not drowning in sauce) that I discovered their dirty secret. They are serving crap fish drowning in inexpensive flavors.

I'm not trying to sound like some pretentious sushi snob... but once you try the real thing it's so hard to appreciate any of this stuff. It's desensitizing out palates to the wonders of good ingredients served simply and elegantly. Now in order for a sushi roll to be good it has to include a freaking pantry full of items.

It's sickening

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you think about it though, you can`t get a good burger in Japan, so getting good sushi in America is just as difficult.

Putting the skill of the chef aside, the problem with sushi in America is that 99.99% of the places use farmed fish, and 99% use substitutes (for example, tilapia instead of red snapper/tai). Don`t expect things to be THAT much better in Japan either. You can`t just walk into any sushi restaurant in Japan and expect the real thing.

Thebomb85019

Reaction score
Originally Posted by darkie_one
I live at the far east and I like fried salmon, caviar and crab meat and I don't even tried sushi
smile.gif

You like fried fish!? Youre a gay fish.
lol8[1].gif

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
I love sushi, I hate people who think california roll is good sushi, and can't eat more than 2 rolls... (if you are a dude), and they go for sushi like once a year and whenever the conversation is brought up, they act like they are an expert...

Why do they think california rolls are good?

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good point QZar. I go to Little Tokyo here in L.A and go to Sushi Gen. It's authentic and the sushi is always fresh. There is usually a line but it's worth it.

Cavalier

Reaction score
^^^ points made above are why I rarely go out for sushi anymore.

I know there's better out there... but Sushi Yasuda
inlove.gif

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sushi is the only food I've ever gone out of my way to try to like. For two years I went to a sushi place at least once a week. I just couldn't do it.

Qzar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maharlika
Good point QZar. I go to Little Tokyo here in L.A and go to Sushi Gen. It's authentic and the sushi is always fresh. There is usually a line but it's worth it.

I'm moving to LA later this year... if there is anything I'm especially looking forward to it's the sushi in Little Tokyo

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads