• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you like sushis?

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Qzar
I'm moving to LA later this year... if there is anything I'm especially looking forward to it's the sushi in Little Tokyo

Unfortunately Little Tokyo is more like Little Korea now. You won`t find much there.

Supertarheel

Reaction score
I love trying new things. Sushi is cool. Don't real care if its real sushi, per se. Or anything like that doesn't concern me.

turbozed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Big Ape
oh dang... if in Japan, i LOVE sushi... i HATE what it does to my financial situation...

best dang Ikura i've ever had...

lol, i remember going on a fishing trip to Long Island with my family when i was a weetle boy...
we caught some flounders and my dad whipped out the wasabi and started cutting up the fresh flounder....

folks were grossed out back then... it was in the early 80's when sushi did not really hit big in NYC at the time... he he he...

People that haven't eaten sushi in Japan don't realize how good ikura is. I used to think it was pretty crappy but for some reason it's world's different over there. It's like mini capsules of liquid buttery fish flavor.

Ikura and Uni were the superstars of my sushi eating experience over there. Most restaurants I ate at there put them on their own special plate.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turbozed
Ikura and Uni were the superstars of my sushi eating experience over there. Most restaurants I ate at there put them on their own special plate.
Mmmmm
Again I say nom nom nom.
uni.jpg

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Mmmmm Again I say nom nom nom.
uni.jpg

I've never had the pleasure of eating uni from the urchin like this. It's so good anyways, I couldn't imagine what it is like when eaten from it's briny shell. Threak fun: My favorite sushi is a southwestern-spiced chicken roll, but instead of rice you use iceberg lettuce.

geoff

Reaction score
Originally Posted by turbozed
Take a train out to Tsukiji fish market and find a place called Dai-wa. Go in the morning, you'll see a big line outside. It's worth the wait. Best sushis you'll find anywhere.

Daiwa isn't bad, but if you can afford the better stuff you should give it a try, at least once. Right by Daiwa is a place called Sushi Dai, they are pretty much equal in quality/price/options. Zanmai sushi (a few locations near Tsukiji) is a good value as well.

A full omakase course at a nicer place like Mizutani, Dai San Harumi, Jiro, etc. will be a life changing experience for anyone who appreciates fish. Be prepared for a bill anywhere from 5x to 9x the price of Daiwa - although you will get a lot more fish (of a much higher quality). On the plus side, you don't have to wait in line with the drunks (or while drunk)!

People assume that tsukiji shops have the freshest fish because they are closest to the actual market. But economically, that makes no sense. A seller at the market has a wonderful fish, fresh off the boat, why would he sell it to the buyer for JPY2000 when a more expensive restaurant would pay JPY10000 and then pass the price to the customers? Proximity does not mean quality.

singhstyle

Reaction score
I like it the sushi, I also like it the Japanese women, but more than that, I like it the Japanese women who like it the sushi.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads