• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do you have Trouble Buttoning your Shirt ?

ray donovan

Reaction score
My brother and I have invented an amazing new product that will transform your normal button down shirt into a fully magnetic button down shirt. This is great for people with arthritis , or any type of disability. Take your independence back. Check Our video and choose a reward that best suits you thank you https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/550302747/the-magnetic-button

Last edited:

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
interesting idea.
I have a few customers who find it difficult to button the top button as well
I only see one draw back.
if the customer forgets to remove the magnetic button before putting in the wash, the shirt could be damaged
when the magnet locks on to the inside of the washing machine

ray donovan

Reaction score
I would recommend taking it off before putting it in the washing machine but if you happen to forget your shirt will stick to the side of the washer. I forget change in my washer all the time and it seems fine

Last edited:

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I would recommend taking it off before putting it in the washing machine but if you happen to forget your shirt will stick to the side of the washer. I forget change in my washer all the time and it seems fine

i am not worried about the magnet.
I am worried about the shirt being put in the washer,
the magnet attaches the shirt to the metal tub, and then gets agitated and spun.
Make sure you put a disclaimer to remove the magnets before washing the shirts

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What on earth is this for? It's absolutely barmy to think that a grown man cannot put on or take off his clothes. Even those I know with arthritis can manage and would be offended to be thought of as needing help in this way. Most people try very successfully to retain their complete independence, and take great pride in achieving this; that goes to the very heart of them ensuring they retain their self respect..

ray donovan

Reaction score
GBR even if you didn't have a disability people have trouble especially with the very top button when they have to wear a tie cause it's so tight and their cuffs . My brother is one of them . People suffer from many different disabilities that makes it difficult for them to dress themselves. Just think how does someone handle buttons if they have one arm ?

Last edited:

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@GBR did you bother to even watch the kickstarter video.
A bit maudlin, but it pointed out a problem.
this gentleman came up with a solution.

I have a customer that we had to use velcro for closures. the buttons and buttonholes were faked.
I would suggest this product for this customer if he was still alive.

there are entire catalogues geared for people with sever arthritis.

please let me know when you post a response that is positive and helpful

Astaroth

Reaction score
An ok idea as a retro fit for an existing shirt -v- the others already out there selling magnetic closure shirts (eg http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...r-gives-independence-people-disabilities.html ).

My main "concern" would be that with it fitted over the existing button the result looks fairly bulky where as those that replace the existing buttons or shirts that are made with them built in look much closer to a normal shirt. Why not replace the original button with the plate rather than covering it? Take more time to fit initialy but a better looking end result. It looks like putting the covers on/ buttons in could also be challenging to some and so setup may still require assistance of others -v- a button hook

As an aside, your marketing states that the average person has difficulty doing up their top button. I trust you have the appropriate research to substanciate that claim otherwise you could easily be leading yourself into problems

ray donovan

Reaction score
Hey Astaroth thanks for commenting. The link that you posted about the fully magnetic shirt is a great product but different then the magnetic buttons we offer. The magnetic buttons will fit over any standard shirt size button this could be a shirt you already own or plan on buying. With the fully magnetic shirt you have to wear their design and the shirts are very pricey. Also if someone needed just a little help like my brother they wouldn't buy a fully magnetic shirt my brother just uses it for the very top and the the 2 buttons that follow down the shirt. The button cover that fits over the standard size shirt button is made of a polypropylene see through plastic and don't look bulky . the actual magnet looks like a normal button. My brother has been wearing it everyday to work for the past year no one had ever said or noticed anything looking out of place or peculiar. Most people do struggle to do the very top button even myself and my hands work very well. Just imagine if you suffer from als and most of your muscle tissue is gone how hard it would be to dress. The magnetic buttons can be put on while the shirt is completely off which make it much easier to use.

Astaroth

Reaction score
Most people do struggle to do the very top button even myself and my hands work very well.

My comment on this was simply a warning that to say over 50% of able bodied people have issues doing up their top buttons could lead you into a lot of trouble (fines/ litigation) if you dont have rigerous evidence to back it up. At the end of the day it's your call but as professionally I've had to pursue inventors/invovators for fraudulant business cases based on unsubstanciated claims on behalf of clients (and also had to retrospectively validate claims in defence of a client against the regulators) then I thought it worth sharing the concern.

Personally, buy the wrong size shirt and its hard to do up, buy the right size neck and its fine.

ray donovan

Reaction score
Astaroth I'm not sure what your really trying to say I've used the product other people have used the product my brother has used it and it works great . It does not look bulky or out of place. Everything I'm saying is true so I'm not sure what your talking about when you say I'll be liable for saying most people struggle with their top button they do. How can I can sued for something that I'm saying. Why don't you stop being part of the problem and start being part of the solution

roz77

Reaction score
Astaroth I'm not sure what your really trying to say I've used the product other people have used the product my brother has used it and it works great . It does not look bulky or out of place. Everything I'm saying is true so I'm not sure what your talking about when you say I'll be liable for saying most people struggle with their top button they do. How can I can sued for something that I'm saying. Why don't you stop being part of the problem and start being part of the solution

He's saying that if you're telling people that "the average person has difficulty doing up their top button" without actual research to substantiate that claim, someone could sue you for false advertising or something similar.

For what it's worth, I think your invention is pretty nifty and could be useful for people, but you need to learn to take criticism better. Someone offering their opinion without being a jerk isn't being part of a problem.

That said, not all criticism is equal...

starro

Reaction score

Really bad attitude in dealing with people, even if Astaroth was being unreasonable (not saying he is). When your business is up and running you'll be dealing with many negative customers day in day out. get used to it.

ray donovan

Reaction score
I'm fine with criticism but when I fully explained it he came back with more negative comments evertthjng that he was saying I already fully researched. I have no problem explaining the product. I have done a lot of research and there's a lot of people that struggle with the very top button when I would do conventions and show the product at malls people always complained to me about their top button and cuffs so that's why I'm using that as an example. I do know for a fact of you google it that 1 out of 5 Americans suffer from some from of arthritis and a lot of it is rhumotroid arthritis which affects the joins so it's very difficult for these people to get dressed themselves.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads