• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do these jackets fit?

DimeADozen

Reaction score
Hey guys -- Had a quick question, if you don't mind? Total fashion noob here ...

I recently lost a decent amount of weight. That's a positive, but the downside is I'm finding more and more of my clothes don't fit anymore. These are two of my suit jackets which used to be among my favorite. When I gained weight after graduating college, they no longer fit. I've now lost that weight, and actually dropped where I was before the Freshman 25.

I was wondering if you could tell me if they A) Still fit, or B) need to be tailored to fit. Any & all advice is appreciated (shoulders are too big, waist, sleeves too big). Not sure if these are fine, salvageable, or if I should buy new ones?

I'm actually in process of looking to get two additional suits. I'm more a fan of the slim-fit styles. I like clothes that hug more, which helps because my legs and arms are a bit skinny. Do you think a tailor could adjust these two jackets to fit that type of style, too? Something more form-fitting? Or can that not be done since these weren't "slim" cuts.

Thanks again! Appreciate it!
Suit Question.jpg

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is that two different jackets? They seem to fit ok. No need to throw them away. Perhaps the one on the right could be taken in a smidge at the waist. The sleeves are all an inch too long, so have that done as well. But overall, pretty good. :thumbs-up:

Tramlines

Reaction score
They do fit....but perhaps not according to your preference for a close hug fit.

You can tell at the chest and waist the the looseness is there. The second image is shot at a closer perspective and gives a full impression of being too large in the torso. It should be salvageable with a good tailor to pin in the excess and taper the fit closer to your contour for a better silhouette.

Sleeves are fine for me. I do like the modern short sleeve 'workwear' style however this kind of blazer doesn't fit this kind of tailoring.

useless_username

Reaction score
I echo the previous posters: the jackets look fine. Definitely keep them, unless you've recently won the lottery. If you can spare the cash, ask an experienced tailor to have a closer look and propose alterations.

To an amateur's eyes: (1) taking them in at the waist wouldn't hurt, but I wouldn't overdo it. (2) The sleeves look just a bit too long. (3) Judging by the rippling on the upper sleeves, you might have a slight sleeve pitch issue - or it could be the way you hold your arms in the pictures (the article below explains sleeve pitch).

https://parisiangentleman.co.uk/aca...ow-how-sleeve-pitch-can-make-or-break-a-suit/

Fixing 1 and 2 are routine, 3 would cost more and might not be worth the expense.

How slim of a style you want to have is of course a matter of fashion and personal preference. But bear in mind that you might gain weight again (whether fat, muscle, or both), in which case a very form-fitting suit would quickly look bad on you.

Addie

Reaction score
I don't know, but they look a little bigger to you. I think they need to be tailored to fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads