• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do I need to get this tailored? (pic)

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Give it a wash, see how it goes. If CT works out for you, their non-iron shirts work well. I wash and drip dry. No iron needed at least in my case.

IBJanky

Reaction score
Go to a tailor and have him tailor it to however skim you want it to be.

I get all my shirts tailored and pay about $18/shirt to get the torso and sleeve portion slimmed down.

I get them all to fit like this:

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

myke

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What happens when you sit down? Seriously though, seeing that pic makes me realize I need to eat healthier and do cardio.

uniesse

Reaction score
Your trousers are too low. That's why the shirt blouses. Get some that fit.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Go to a tailor and have him tailor it to however skim you want it to be.
I get all my shirts tailored and pay about $18/shirt to get the torso and sleeve portion slimmed down.
I get them all to fit like this:
myke

Setting aside how that shirt makes you look like Enrique Iglesias, you may want to reconsider getting shirts that tight because of how it will behave once you move around. A shirt needs to have enough room in order to allow some give for when you sit down or you turn your body. If it's too tight, there will be unsightly pulls that will make you look heavier (and greasier) than you actually are.

I'm not a shirtmaker, and you should seek professional advice for a better idea of what you need, but for what it's worth, my tailor solved that problem by lowering the waist point. This got rid of the blousing over my pants.

If you insist on getting tight shirts, you can send the white one to Cottonwork or ModernTailor and ask them to copy it. They'll make one up in any fabric for you.

Last edited:

jamesny

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The first pic may look great for some, but the reality is it will not look good on an average body. Plus it looks uncomfortable.

hugh51271

Reaction score
^ Actually, I have a few slim fit shirts that fit like the one in picture 1. All tailored. First got them done in 2007. They have darts in them to make them snug on the torso. Not super tight, but properly fitted. Saying that, I do have an athletic shape.
I found the female of the species likes the look of slim shirts. They are OK to wear if you are doing work. However, I prefer to wear them when I am out in a restaurant or socializing.

I usually wear my shirts a little less slimmer for work - more like pic 2.

Regarding the OP's shirt, the seam on your shoulder may make the shirt look disjointed if you have the body slimmed. Plus the arms would have to be made a little slimmer.

I probably wouldn't bother. You could use some pins to see what it would look like slimmer.

mjjo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
That is one tight shirt I probably won't breathe in those...just get it tailored to fit your body but not tight.

ianGP

Reaction score
I agree with Reevolving - just tuck it in! And it's not going to look perfect throughout the day either - unless of course you just stand there and do nothing.

Judging from the frontal pics, I wouldn't change a thing. If you're very nitpicky - have them take it in *BUT* at a lower point than your natural waist like dieworkwear suggested. Makes a hell of a difference, specially for me since I have a pretty broad back and it curves into my waist rather steeply.

If you do go to a tailor, just remember to leave slack! That pic#1 is not the truth.

OR you could just find an RLPL Custom Fit shirt and be done with it!
Here's mine with just a sleeve adjustment:
(my chesticles have gotten a smidgen bigger since I got the shirt, hence the slight pull on the top-most button)
Keaton005.jpg

The shirt has very slim sleeves so I made sure it was a little longer than my usual sleeve length to account for movement.

I'd say just do it! Take it to a tailor. Hell, it's only $18 and you'll have a better understanding of what fits you better afterwards.

EDIT: reading fail on me :facepalm: just saw you were an intern; disregard the RLPL comment

Last edited:

wannabe

Reaction score
Just wash your shirt amigo. It will shrink.

If you're still not happy, get darts/waist suppression anywhere (seamstress, tailor, laundromat). People usually do this for less than $20.

WAYWT7911.jpg

^ This is about as tight as it gets. Slim fit can only be so slim, before it just becomes "too small".

IanGP's shirt seems a little tight, but I think it's cause of the picture angle/his torso moving.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads