1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

DIY Project: Tropical Trousers

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by inlandisland, Mar 31, 2013.

1. inlandisland

inlandisland Senior member

I made these trousers from a cream/white, open weave herringbone wool. They feature a zipper, button and double hook closure, slanted side pockets, double-welted back pockets, belt loops, two inch cuffs and lots of hand stitching. Total work time was in the range of 20-30 hours. These are actually a re-make - the first pair I made from this cloth had some fit issues, but these are much better... Fit pics will be added when I get the cance to take some.

The finished trousers:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hand made button hole - still messy, but getting a little more uniform.
    [​IMG]

Hand sewn bar tacks on side pockets.
    [​IMG]

Slanted side pockets and double welted back pockets.
    [​IMG]

Closure and hand felled waistband.
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  2. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Consider this is your second pair of trouser, it is very good!

Did you use the machine much?

3. inlandisland

Thanks. It's not my second pair ever - I've made a few - just my second try with this fabric. I use a machine for all the main seams, smaller parts and more difficult to access seams I do by hand.

4. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

I can tell the fabric is rather hard to handle isn't it? But I must say pretty nice work.

5. inlandisland

Thanks again - The fabric was not bad to work with, it just required the right prep. Since it is a fairly open weave, breathable fabric, I used pinking shears to prevent ravelling and some fusing on the areas that needed extra strength.

6. inlandisland

Here are a few pictures to provide some context on the fit:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

They look a bit tight in the rear and hips, but obviously that is a great work for someone who isn't even a tailor.