• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dissuade me from this J. Peterman Case

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what about this Ghurka Messenger bag for comparison: on final sale (no returns!) at Ghurka.com. it's $397.50 from $795. i like the color of the J. Peterman bag more but i'll bet the Ghurka is better quality. Tusting, out of England, makes a good bag at a decent price. you'll occasionally find their overstock on sale at STP: www.tusting.co.uk. it's the Clipper bag, 270 pounds. -Jeff

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's a smart looking, case. You might have to keep track of those two, thin straps. They could get caught on doorknobs, etc. Probably not.
I've ordered many, many items from the Peterman catalogue. Some of their merchandise is bizarre; at times the copy sells you something, whether you need it, or not. I have the baseball glove leather, wallet . . . amusing, and tactile. For everyday use, it's great. I ordered two wool throws, from Petereman's, Titanic collection. They're great. A friend of mine, ordered a captain's chair, used in the third class lounge scenes. Impressive piece.

kbuzz

Reaction score
I go the paper catalog friday. I honestly did not know they were still in biz. However, I cant even say the name with a straight face post sienfeld. Sorry but im sure others may feel the same.

Maybe you can buy some cosmo kramer's ocean colange while your at it.

Or instead the coffe table book about coffe tables

well-kept

Reaction score
I've only bought one item from Peterman, about 15 years ago. A pair of brown boots I believe the catalogue called "plain but rich boots". They were made for Peterman exclusively by Justin - a cross between Wellingtons and cowboy boots. They were originally offered at about $300. I bought them on sale for about $150. (All of this from memory.) Also from memory, the catalogue entry - "Even brand new they look okay. A year from now they'll look like old money. I recommend them".

Well, fifteen years later they're great. Can't count the comments they've elicited. I don't know about their recent offerings but the briefcase may be a good thing too. I know this doesn't sound like dissuasion. Not meant to.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always thought J. Peterman was made up on Seinfeld. Peterman was one of my favorite characters on the show. Always thought it was a made up company to poke fun at J Crew. Good advertising for J. Peterman I guess.

"That's right. White Lotus. Yam-yam. Shanghai Sally."

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
40kaas-nl, very, very nice!
thumbs-up.gif

Don Goldstein

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 40kaas-nl
I just bought this briefcase at eBay:

Made by "Dents" in England from bridle leather. I had a Mulberry briefcase but I was really not happy with the quality (very poor construction).

That is a beautiful bag. What was the auction number?

alflauren

Reaction score
This site is terrible. I didn't really need the following, but I think I'm going to have to get one. Damn you, SF! (This is from the Custom Hide company linked above).

Mentos

Reaction score
I had a Mulberry briefcase but I was really not happy with the quality (very poor construction).
That makes me feel better--I've spent the better part of my waking hours for several months coveting a Mulberry bag that was featured in an NYT article. But I suspected that the quality was iffy. Alflauren, at lease that bag isn't wildly expensive, as these things go. I ordered the J. Peterman bag, using amortization principles to rationalize. I'll up some photos when it comes around.

alflauren

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mentos
Alflauren, at lease that bag isn't wildly expensive, as these things go.

Good point. I like the color too. I'm normally a blacks/grays person, but all black leather bags are all starting to look to me like they were made by Kenneth Cole, so I'm steering way clear. This gets me a dark color, but not in black.

40kaas-nl

Reaction score
Auction # 260040470498 Total price was around €225. Not cheap (especially when you consider my budget) but hopefully it will last a while
smile.gif
I think it was made quite some years ago. Dents does not seem to make briefcases anymore? What would a briefcase like this cost if it was sold today? The Mulberry briefcase I had was manufactured in Italy. I bought it secondhand (another eBay purchase
blush.gif
) The leather straps were glued on instead of stitched on and the "scotchgrain material" became perforated by the metal strip which supported the handle. Bad design and workmanship IMO.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Auction # 260040470498

Total price was around €225. Not cheap (especially when you consider my budget) but hopefully it will last a while
smile.gif

I think it was made quite some years ago. Dents does not seem to make briefcases anymore? What would a briefcase like this cost if it was sold today?

You did very well, I think. An equivalent Daines & Hathaway bag sells for about $1000.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads