• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Discuss exactly how to get a perfect fitting sportcoat/blazer/jacket...

pdial

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cold war painter
This is what worked for me:

1. Relax. Realise that you do not understand all the details, and maybe never will.
2. Find a tailor with results you like the look of.
3. Trust the tailor.
4. Wear the jacket.

Originally Posted by pebblegrain
Pretty simple 2 step process:

1. Stop making new threads
2. Repeat step 1

+1

Ivystyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
Iaintreadinallthatshit.jpg

Too Funny... hahhahaha

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You start meaningful threads, but you don't always take opposing views lightly. Anyway, here's my take on this. First of all, you need to know how you want to look like. Secondly, you need to find a GOOD tailor that knows his way around a suit. I eventually found such a tailor and I know he's going to do a perfect job and he knows what I want. Why? Because he's experienced, he communicates well and he is willing to listen to me as a customer. He also does fittings before finishing the job. Here's an example of a jacket that was too wide in the shoulders, the collar was loose and it was a mess in the waist and back. And here's the final result minus $250 out of my bank account:

19669582.jpg

I consider this an excellent fit, because that's what I like to see on myself. At this point I really don't care what anyone else thinks, although I do listen to people's critical opinion. Hope that helps.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ivar, thanks for posting the sample pictures.
Originally Posted by cold war painter
This is what worked for me: 1. Relax. Realise that you do not understand all the details, and maybe never will. 2. Find a tailor with results you like the look of. 3. Trust the tailor. 4. Wear the jacket.
None of my friends or colleagues are tailoring their sportjackets. Short of stopping someone on the street, I'm not sure how to find a "Find a tailor with results you like the look of." Any suggestions?
Originally Posted by tchoy
I would wear anyone of these jackets http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=211683 and find yourself a competent tailor even if it is more expensive.
These are very cool patterns. This is just what I would consider. A notch above "boring and plain", but nothing wacky I almost bid on this yesterday, but held off. I want to do this right, and do it once.
IMG_7185.jpg

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I buy jacket two sizes too small and then use vivisection to make it fit perfectly.

tchoy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are very cool patterns.
This is just what I would consider.
A notch above "boring and plain", but nothing wacky

I almost bid on this yesterday, but held off. I want to do this right, and do it once.
IMG_7185.jpg
[/quote]

I can't see the fabric too well but that looks like an odd jacket too me.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sharing some SpooPoker advice on this topic via PM.
Originally Posted by Reevolving
Spoo, I just saw your corduroy jacket contest entry. I love the fit of the jacket, and it really stands out from the rest. It just looks like a stylish fit, yet it's hard to quantify. I do see the jacket is a bit shorter than SF would have advised a year ago. How exactly do you communicate to your tailor how much to suppress the torso and midsection? You can't exactly pin a jacket. Do you "eggroll" the jacket around you tighter, so they can get a sense of how tight you want to jacket to me? Is there some rule of thumb you use? (2 finger rule, etc) Assume my tailor has NO idea about "SF fit" at all, and just fits old men. What do I tell her to do? I'm not even sure how to show her, outside of showing her a pic. I bet she thinks I am very weird b/c no other customer she has goes for slim fit, etc.
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Hey man - Thanks for writing. As far as communication with a tailor, I would normally go to someone who has a greater sense of modern tailoring to do work that turns out like this, rather than some dusty old tailor who normally cuffs triple pleated pants. Bring a picture and that is really the greatest way to communicate with them. Words can be misconstrued or misinterpreted, but a picture is a clear definition of what you want. Also, modern jackets are cut on a mold more suited towards what you want, so if you have a piece that is older than, say - 5 years or so old, you will encounter issues that cannot be fixed by a tailor - low buttoning points, gorges, padded shoulders, etc. Go to Saks or BG and just start trying on. Everyone is different, so you can get a sense of what works by first hand experience only. Once you find a brand/model/cut that works, you can comb the net for a deeper discount. You cant narrow it down by brand, as a 10yr old Armani will fit extremely different than an Armani from this season. Good luck with your fits and happy holidays!
ba2002e0.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads