• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Direct to video movies

banksmiranda

Reaction score
I just went to Blockbuster and rented Cape Fear (1962 version). While I was there I saw Starship Troopers 2, The Skulls 3 and Cruel Intentions 3. I liked the original Starship Troopers. How was the sequal? Assuming it was released directly to home video, how was it? I can't imagine that many people would watch crap like Skulls 2, Skulls 3 and Cruel Intentions. Am I wrong?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Starship Troopers 2 is not a good movie. It's also not really that bad. It's fallen victim to the stereotypical low budget sci-fi T&A treatment while maintaining very little of the originals satirical appeal. The "bugs" aren't that great looking, and the ending seems a little forced. My general rule is this: if the FIRST movie is really good, one mediocre sequel is alright. More than one mediocre/outright bad sequel is not ok. Haven't seen the Skulls 1 or 2, nor have I seen Cruel Intentions 2 or 3. I'm curious though if anyone has seen American Psycho 2. I've been meaning to watch it, although it looks like they went and turned it into a teen slasher movie, which is disturbing. I've been pleasantly suprised before... Direct to video pick of the week - Cypher

BjornH

Reaction score
Cypher sounds good - I'm a SciFi buff so I try to see most movies, except the truly embarrasing ones.

I can not imagine that ST2 has any of the good qualities of the original. To tell the truth, I'm not sure I would have been impressed if I had not read the book. As for the book, It's one of the best SciFi books and really should not be taken as an action triller - it's much more than that.

Are there any others ready to confess to beeing SciFi fans ?

B

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Starship Troopers 2 is not a good movie. It's also not really that bad. It's fallen victim to the stereotypical low budget sci-fi T&A treatment while maintaining very little of the originals satirical appeal. The "bugs" aren't that great looking, and the ending seems a little forced. My general rule is this: if the FIRST movie is really good, one mediocre sequel is alright. More than one mediocre/outright bad sequel is not ok. Haven't seen the Skulls 1 or 2, nor have I seen Cruel Intentions 2 or 3. I'm curious though if anyone has seen American Psycho 2. I've been meaning to watch it, although it looks like they went and turned it into a teen slasher movie, which is disturbing. I've been pleasantly suprised before... Direct to video pick of the week - Cypher
I've seen American Psycho 2. It stars 'Jackie' from That 70's Show. No relevance at all to the first movie, other than a few references to Patrick Bateman. It's a slasher-type movie, rather than the well-orchestrated film that the first American Psycho was. Simply playing off the name, in my opinion.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thats too bad... one would hope that Lion's Gate would have better sense than that. Oh well, cross off another production company that I won't work for out of principal...(yeah, as if I could afford to be that picky)

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Are there any others ready to confess to beeing SciFi fans ?

B
I will admit to being a big sci-fi fan. Heinlein was one of the first authors to draw me in, but I have many other favorites as well.

Bradford

Brian SD

Reaction score
Isn't Wild Things that movie that has Neve campbell and Denise Richards in a threesome with Matt dillon? And I think Wild Things 2 has some other notable lesbian kissing. Never seen either of them though. Promise
wink.gif

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
count me as another Heinlein fan.

maybe someday they'll make a movie from one of his books that actually lives up to his writing. (don't hold your breath.)

/andrew

***edit - i'd really like to see 'stranger in a strange land'.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads