• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

differences between charvet and sean o'flynn shirts

lovelux2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBer
RTW can be over $400, not sure where bespoke starts...

If you are on a budget, don't forget there's a minimum number of shirts with many shirtmakers.

no minimum at O'Flynn..

Frog in Suit

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia

We'll see if I feel the same way after a year's washing, but they each seem to offer good value for roughly the same price.

For what it's worth, I have been getting Sean O'Flynn's shirts for at least twenty years, via New & Lingwood, possibly longer because I first went to N & L's Eton shop ca. 1984 and I have no idea whether he already ran their bespoke shirts.
I get tunic neckband shirts, with French cuffs and two identical self-colour collars. I wear my clothes gently, wear my shirts infrequently (alternating collars), wash them on a "warm" (40º C. setting) and hang them to dry. They are ironed by hand. The only shirt which shows definite wear is a "flannelly herringbone" one, where one collar point has been pierced by the stay (I still can use the other collar). I now know to avoid those softer shirtings.
Apart from that one instance, all my twenty-year old shirts show no obvious sign of wear. The pre-1990s ones I had to jettison because I changed shape and they became too tight
cloud.gif
Frog in Suit

andreyb2

Reaction score
Concordia, continuing with "Stephen vs Sean": is needlework any different?

I am a customer of Stephen, and on second shirt he made me needlework is a tad more shoddy than on first one...
frown.gif

Andrey

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Both seem pretty good. Perhaps Sean's a little cleaner but I haven't been bothered enough by either to do a close examination.

lovelux2010

Reaction score
i finally made a decision and got measured up on friday for an o'flynn...

had another question (sorry!), i'm 5'7 and 145 pounds (so relatively short/slim), i'm wondering which shirts will be most flattering for my body type and choice of suits (low rise trousers, short cut, relatively slim but not skinny suits)..my face is an oval shape if this is a consideration
so far i though:
- no french cuffs (read its better to go with streamlined cuffs)
- solid colour or horizontal stipes for the shirt
- slightly pointy collar to elongate..

i'm stuck for other suggestions though, so any advice helpful!

Frog in Suit

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lovelux2010
i finally made a decision and got measured up on friday for an o'flynn...

had another question (sorry!), i'm 5'7 and 145 pounds (so relatively short/slim), i'm wondering which shirts will be most flattering for my body type and choice of suits (low rise trousers, short cut, relatively slim but not skinny suits)..my face is an oval shape if this is a consideration
so far i though:
- no french cuffs (read its better to go with streamlined cuffs)
- solid colour or horizontal stipes for the shirt
- slightly pointy collar to elongate..

i'm stuck for other suggestions though, so any advice helpful!

Ask Sean O'Flynn. He has lots of experience (at least twenty years, I should think, working for highly reputable firms as well as for himself) and it is his job as a shirtmaker to provide this kind of advice. I would rely on him more than on what passes for knowledge on the web. Why no French cuffs? FWIW, I think vertical stripes are more elongating. Once one selects a tailor/shirtmaker/shoemaker, assuming one has done one's homework, it would be folly to ignore their professional advice.
Frog in Suit

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Charvet is worth the price.....they are just absolutely gorgeous shirts. You cant really understand until you wear one.
wink.gif

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And being the cheap ass here, can someone tell me if there is an option for just about 100 pound, MTM wise.

G

Griffindork

Can't speak as to Sean O'flynn but charvet's full mesure program is incredible. The level of customer services coupled with the choices available are without equal. The product speaks for itself.
A

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads