• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Difference between tux and dinner jacket?

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The title pretty much says it all just wondering what the differences between a tux and a dinner jacket are.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand a dinner suit to be the traditional tux (black trousers and jacket, with all of the satin/grosgrain facing), and a dinner jacket to be a black or white formal jacket, either part of dinner suit (black) or to be worn with black formal trousers (white).

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Ernest is correct. Technically, there is no such term as "dinner suit." English tailors will say "dinner jacket and trousers".

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ernest is correct. Technically, there is no such term as "dinner suit." English tailors will say "dinner jacket and trousers".

Dammit, beat me to it. I wanted to show Manton that I was actually aware of such rules, and am not (in most cases) arguing with him out of ignorance.

Of course, in the US, a "tux" denotes matching dinner jacket and trousers", while "dinner jacket" used alone often implies odd trousers (black) being worn with a non-matching jacket (usually white, cream, or some patterned thing.)

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I wanted to show Manton that I was actually aware of such rules, and am not (in most cases) arguing with him out of ignorance.
I know that. I would never dress the way you do (that should go without saying) but I think your approach is real and valid, and you are a fine (and intellectually honest) spokesman for it.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lately, I've taken to calling the ensemble a "suit of dinner clothes." Damn if I can't bring myself to say tuxedo. And "dinner jacket and trousers" sounds so cumbersome.

wja

Reaction score
If you lived in Tuxedo, New York (where, of course, the jacket came to be called a "Tuxedo") then saying Tuxedo would seem very natural.

ArdCu

Reaction score
Some 8 years after the fact...

My understanding, from the British tradition, is that a Tuxedo generally has a single button whereas a dinner jacket has two (or even three) and the cut is slightly different. A Tux is more rounded and looser, and a dinner jacket is more geometric and 'tailored.' Hence people being a bit sniffy about Tuxedos - they are far too relaxed!

In the UK the dress trousers are implied in 'dinner jacket' but 'black tie' is a common term (to distinguish from white tie, where full evening dress is worn).

A white jacket is... erm... questionable.

Details - a cummerbund should be worn (black is conservative, burgundy a bit festive); shoes should be properly polished; white shirt, preferably formal; ideally black shirt studs and a white pocket square; black socks (although I really shouldn't have to say this); a folded collar is actually more traditional as winged collars are reserved for white tie; obviously a black bow tie, preferably self-tied, but it can match the cummerbund for a little gaiety. Outerwear should be a black overcoat and white silk scarf but no hat.

These are, of course, rules from the early 20th century, but I believe they hold true. The golden rule is "What would Cary Grant wear?"

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

qm.gif
qm.gif

qm.gif
qm.gif
Billy witch doctor dot com.....more comfortable with chicken.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads