1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Difference between tux and dinner jacket?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by demeis, Feb 17, 2005.

1. demeis

demeis Senior member

The title pretty much says it all just wondering what the differences between a tux and a dinner jacket are.

2. ernest

ernest Senior member

US/UK name for the same thing

3. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

I understand a dinner suit to be the traditional tux (black trousers and jacket, with all of the satin/grosgrain facing), and a dinner jacket to be a black or white formal jacket, either part of dinner suit (black) or to be worn with black formal trousers (white).

4. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Ernest is correct. Technically, there is no such term as "dinner suit." English tailors will say "dinner jacket and trousers".

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Dammit, beat me to it. I wanted to show Manton that I was actually aware of such rules, and am not (in most cases) arguing with him out of ignorance.

Of course, in the US, a "tux" denotes matching dinner jacket and trousers", while "dinner jacket" used alone often implies odd trousers (black) being worn with a non-matching jacket (usually white, cream, or some patterned thing.)

6. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I know that. I would never dress the way you do (that should go without saying) but I think your approach is real and valid, and you are a fine (and intellectually honest) spokesman for it.

7. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

Lately, I've taken to calling the ensemble a "suit of dinner clothes." Damn if I can't bring myself to say tuxedo. And "dinner jacket and trousers" sounds so cumbersome.

8. wja

wja Well-Known Member

If you lived in Tuxedo, New York (where, of course, the jacket came to be called a "Tuxedo") then saying Tuxedo would seem very natural.

9. ArdCu

ArdCu New Member

Some 8 years after the fact...

My understanding, from the British tradition, is that a Tuxedo generally has a single button whereas a dinner jacket has two (or even three) and the cut is slightly different. A Tux is more rounded and looser, and a dinner jacket is more geometric and 'tailored.' Hence people being a bit sniffy about Tuxedos - they are far too relaxed!

In the UK the dress trousers are implied in 'dinner jacket' but 'black tie' is a common term (to distinguish from white tie, where full evening dress is worn).

A white jacket is... erm... questionable.

Details - a cummerbund should be worn (black is conservative, burgundy a bit festive); shoes should be properly polished; white shirt, preferably formal; ideally black shirt studs and a white pocket square; black socks (although I really shouldn't have to say this); a folded collar is actually more traditional as winged collars are reserved for white tie; obviously a black bow tie, preferably self-tied, but it can match the cummerbund for a little gaiety. Outerwear should be a black overcoat and white silk scarf but no hat.

These are, of course, rules from the early 20th century, but I believe they hold true. The golden rule is "What would Cary Grant wear?"

10. Marc Voorhees

Marc Voorhees Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    . [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]Billy witch doctor dot com.....more comfortable with chicken.