• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did You Use a Laptop or Notebook to Take Notes?

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
i think you're thinking about battery cycle life not battery life

Actually I'm talking the life of the device in general

speedfreak

Reaction score
Paper. Usually, the presentation slides were available in advance and you could print and bring them to the lecture. Just took my notes on the sildes and used a notebook for mathematical derivations and more extensive drawings, esp. in macroeconomics.

If I'd be in college today again, I'd probably buy an iPad and a stylus to take notes directly on the pdfs.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A physical notebook.

At first I was kind of bummed that I didn't have the money to buy a laptop (I wasn't cool like everyone else). And then grades started rolling in. Throughout my college career, I've repeatedly found that by physically taking down notes on paper, my grades have consistently been better than my laptop peers. Probably has something to do with the easy access to time-wasters like Facebook and whatnot via computer.

Then come exam time, I've already written everything down, processed stuff by paying attention, and study maybe 30 minutes for finals. I'm surrounded by my laptop classmates complaining about 12-hour cram-sessions to honestly relearn what they should've taken in during class, but were instead playing sodoku, tetris, and the like.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Neither. They did not exist in the early 80s ...
smile.gif

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
Neither. They did not exist in the early 80s ...
smile.gif

I'm pretty sure paper existed in the 80s...

Telefonica

Reaction score
Has anyone used a tablet pc with digitizer to "pen" your notes? I've been spending a lot of time researching Microsoft OneNote and I hear that many people use it successfully.

Telefonica

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 3cyr3
see http://www.htc.com/www/product/flyer/overview.html supposed to be released around Q2 2011
Interesting, but I don't think it supports Windows. I'm really leaning towards the Motion Computing J3500: http://www.motioncomputing.com/produ...let_pc_J35.asp
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
check out the lenovo x120e. they're on sale at lenovo for a good price and they got rave reviews

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by speedfreak
Paper. Usually, the presentation slides were available in advance and you could print and bring them to the lecture. Just took my notes on the sildes and used a notebook for mathematical derivations and more extensive drawings, esp. in macroeconomics.

I second this. Although having learned lyx it would prolly be quite easy to jot out the maths with a laptop as well. I just prefer the old ways, I guess.

Vaio

Reaction score
Notebook for the most part, especially when the class was boring, as it helped me stay focused and attentive. Laptop for easy classes.

ImaPro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vaio
Notebook for the most part, especially when the class was boring, as it helped me stay focused and attentive. Laptop for easy classes.
Agree, If I take notes on a laptop I will most likely end up browsing the web.

MasterW

Reaction score
I did used both, but if you ask me to choose one now, then I will prefer the notebook.

Cotillion

Reaction score
Taking notes by hand was always better for me. I still do it. Something about typing while taking notes, I don't listen as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads