• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did I see a UFO...or what?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe this will get moved to DT, but it is presented seriously.

Last night, I sure saw something strange in the sky. It was about 10:10 p.m. It was a bright, clear night with a nearly fully moon. I was just setting out with my new Tosa, Cyrus, for his late-evening walk. Up in the sky, moving very slowly toward the north, was a luminous bright green circle, slightly oblongated. It was similar in color to a green glow-stick. It was moving so slowly I thought it might be something on a blimp. I thought I could descry that it was on a larger craft of some sort, but I can't swear for sure. After about 45 seconds, it suddenly blinked off and disappeared, and a tiny white light seemed to shoot away from it at great speed.

I live near the Long Beach Airport, also the Los Alamitos Naval Air Station. However, this resembled no aircraft lights I had ever seen, nor was its movement like that of a jet or propeller plane. There was a police helicopter search going on not far away, but that's a familiar enough sight. Another thought that occurred to me was that there is a large park near my house where people fly model aircraft. However it struck me as very unlikely anyone would be flying a model plane at that hour, nor was its movement like any model plane's I've seen.

About my best guess is that perhaps it was a design painted on a balloon that suddenly burst (hence the disappearance), and the tiny white light was coincidentally a distant jet.

Anyway, it's all very mysterious to me. Does anyone--especially someone with a good knowledge of aircraft lights--have any idea of what I might have seen?

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess technically you did see a UFO, to you. Unless this has since been ID'd. But, I do not think you saw an intergalactical ship.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't go to sleep. You might get abducted.

I believe in extraterrestrial life, BTW. It is all too egotistical to believe we are the only intelligent life in the universe, the size of which is truly unfathomable. And I also do not necessarily believe that any such life has to adhere to our understanding or knowledge of life on earth. I'm sure extraterrestrials can live in a world without oxygen, water etc. Yet scientists want to tie everything to what we know. And what we know is barely a fraction of what's out there.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
my vote is "...or what"

Milpool

Reaction score
Do aliens still abduct people? I haven't heard about an abduction in a while. Did they get bored with rectally probing people or something?

skyman

Reaction score
Possibly could have been the right wingtip light of an aircraft, not sure about the white light at great speed, could have been the coincidence of the first aircraft descending then second aircraft appearing on the horizon, or possibly a military jet accelerating rapidly after take off (with your close proximity to Los Alimatos)?

AgentQ

Reaction score
Finally, a use for
tinfoil.gif
!

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Far more likely a petite mal siezure than the sighting of an alien spacecraft - A couple million times more likely.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Another thought that occurred to me was that there is a large park near my house where people fly model aircraft. However it struck me as very unlikely anyone would be flying a model plane at that hour, nor was its movement like any model plane's I've seen.

Model helicopter? They're very cheap and have gained popularity with casual fliers.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wasn't the international space station supposed to be strongly visible recently?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads