• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did i destroy my ascot chang shirts?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by T900
still, think it's a disaster now i have read the comments here.
frown.gif

Although I think the darts take your shirts out of the realm of a traditional dress shirt, it's not a total disaster if they fit well. If you wear the shirt with a suit or blazer, no one is going to see the darts.

But I see your concern, I have shirts that are darted similarly, but they are of the Ben Sherman and Sharagano variety - shirts I typically wouldn't wear in an office environment with slacks, but then again they have either bright colored stripes or embroidery.

Your shirts are fine, although not what you might have wanted, they should be fine as dress shirts for work.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, a shirt with darts looks too much like a woman's shirt - so I personally don't like the look. I had darts put in on a shirt once by my tailor to see how it looks and it looks way to effeminate. If you think that it looks good on you then there is nothing necessarily wrong with it.

Earthmover

Reaction score
even aside from the darting being feminine, why would they put darts on a Bengal Stripe shirt? It just looks bad.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Earthmover
even aside from the darting being feminine, why would they put darts on a Bengal Stripe shirt? It just looks bad.

True. The first shirt I brought to my tailor to put darts on was a striped shirt and he vehemently insisted that it was a bad idea to the point where he convinced me that if I want darts on a shirt it should be a solid shirt.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by T900
Can i still wear them and not be laughed at?

I don't think so. It looks rather odd. Why have darts on a MTM shirt that is supposed to be made to your body's measurements. Womens' shirts tend to have darts because their bodies are more shapely (unless you're a bodybuilder, the difference between a woman's chest and waist measurement is much larger than a man's) so darts give the shirt a curviness that molds better to their curves.

That said, these darts seem to be done as an afterthought, which works to your advantage in this case. The fabric is simply folded and stitched so it looks like they can be easily removed as Carl points out.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
True. The first shirt I brought to my tailor to put darts on was a striped shirt and he vehemently insisted that it was a bad idea to the point where he convinced me that if I want darts on a shirt it should be a solid shirt.

Because he knows how difficult it is to get the stripes to line up correctly. One (or more) of the stripes will disappear into the dart and the pattern has to be matched perfectly for this to appear as inconspicuous as possible.

You see this done well (or not so well) on striped or windowpane coats, especially where the pockets are located, by good tailors so that you don't even notice the coat's darts.

T900

Reaction score
wouldn't removing the darts by myself destroy the shape of the shirt?
well, the shirts are now not perfect. but considering the money that i have spent and notwithstanding the darts, it fits very well, i think i will live with it.

a separate question: how do you guys wear your slim fit shirts. do you tuck it in all the way or do you tuck it in and then pull fabric around the waist area a little such that a little fabric covers your belt?

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Darts aren't inherently bad, depending on the physique and the desired fit, they may be necessary.

mbc

Reaction score
I dunno... my personal opinion is that darts are much more obvious on a solid shirt than a striped/patterned one. On the shirts I have, the darts seem to "hide" among the stripes, for lack of a better explanation. But on a solid shirt, even that thin seam stands out since all the fabric around it is completely plain.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mbc
I dunno... my personal opinion is that darts are much more obvious on a solid shirt than a striped/patterned one. On the shirts I have, the darts seem to "hide" among the stripes, for lack of a better explanation. But on a solid shirt, even that thin seam stands out since all the fabric around it is completely plain.

Yeah, but on a striped shirt, when you look at the back of the shirt, you can see that ll of the stripes aren't going in the same direction. Some are going straight down and some are a bit on an angle. Take a look at:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/chenpe...nm=cfa3scd.jpg

Notice how on the middle of the shirt the stripes are going straight down, but on the right side of the shirt the stripes are going down and to the left.

wheelerray

Reaction score
I don't get the need for these darts. I do not have a tapered shape, but I hate baggy shirts and have a big neck, so needed almost every RTW shirt I own slimmed. My tailor has always done it at the side seam and they look fine whether stripe or solid.

IMHO the darts look like someone was inattentive and accidentally sewed through fabric that bunched up under the sewing machine during assembly.

I suggest having the stitching taken out of these darts and have a tailor slim them at the sides. Just be sure to go to a tailor, not an 'alterations' shop.

mbc

Reaction score
Yeah, but on a striped shirt, when you look at the back of the shirt, you can see that ll of the stripes aren't going in the same direction. Some are going straight down and some are a bit on an angle. Take a look at:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/chenpe...nm=cfa3scd.jpg

Notice how on the middle of the shirt the stripes are going straight down, but on the right side of the shirt the stripes are going down and to the left.

Yeah, I know... I just think that's a little harder to spot unless it was either done very poorly or you're really intently staring at someone's lower back. With a solid shirt, though, the dart seams have no "camouflage".

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mbc
Yeah, I know... I just think that's a little harder to spot unless it was either done very poorly or you're really intently staring at someone's lower back. With a solid shirt, though, the dart seams have no "camouflage".

Yeah, that's a good point - I took a look at the test shirt that I had darts put on and I can definitely see what you are talking about.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads