• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did Burberry just screw me?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmkn
When I was doing MTM Giorgio Armani - for the same suit, the price can be anywhere from $6,000 to $20,000. Yep, $20,000, same suit make, except that the fabric had a little sticker on it that said something to effect of "will weave when requested."

Whoah.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I won't argue whether anybody thinks that is a good value point for a Burberry coat. But your supporsition that MTM should be the or cheaper than off the rack is wrong.

You should expect it to generally land between OTR and the cost of Bespoke for comparable cloth and workmanship.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fraud in the inducement? Material misrepresentation?
laugh.gif
The only Burberry item I've had is an overcoat, but I'm very surprised at a $1,000+ price for a MTM sportcoat from Burberry.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
I won't argue whether anybody thinks that is a good value point for a Burberry coat. But your supporsition that MTM should be the or cheaper than off the rack is wrong.

You should expect it to generally land between OTR and the cost of Bespoke for comparable cloth and workmanship.

I had the same thought for a second, but if you re-read his post, it was a special "MTM event." Usually at those events retailers will waive the additional MTM charge.

BSullivan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I had the same thought for a second, but if you re-read his post, it was a special "MTM event." Usually at those events retailers will waive the additional MTM charge.

Precisely.

I ended up buying the less expensive wool/cotton blend for $1095. I'm also getting an MTM suit for $1100.

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Whoah.

Yea, back in the early to mid 2000's when money was more virtual, derived, and overleveraged it was not unusual to see people walking around with $45,000 vicuna Kiton jackets. With a few exceptions, it is good to see more realistic discussion of prices nowadays.

- M

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads