• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Diablo III / 3

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

oh man.. there's so much new **** to learn about if i want to build my own computer.
oh well, i get intensely passionate about mini projects like this so it could be fun.

If you have a Micro Center nearby get the 2500k there for $180 and $50 off any Intel mobo.

The latest AMD and Nvidia offerings will be MASSIVE overkill. The GTX 680 by nvidia is a BEAST and quiet. Get a case with a door (quiet) that comes pre-lined with sound absorbant materials and quiet fans. The Fractal R3 fits that description nicely. Get an aftermarket heatsink as the stock Intel one is GARBAGE; either something with a PWM enabled fan or just a quiet one like the Noctua's would be great. Get some more Noctua fans for the case too. You can get 16gb of low voltage ddr3 1600 ram for $80 or so (again overkill) and a 60gb SSD for $60 after rebates: Patriot Pyro on newegg.

I can help with more specifics if you need.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
oh man.. there's so much new **** to learn about if i want to build my own computer.
oh well, i get intensely passionate about mini projects like this so it could be fun.

If you have a Micro Center nearby get the 2500k there for $180 and $50 off any Intel mobo.

The latest AMD and Nvidia offerings will be MASSIVE overkill. The GTX 680 by nvidia is a BEAST and quiet. Get a case with a door (quiet) that comes pre-lined with sound absorbant materials and quiet fans. The Fractal R3 fits that description nicely. Get an aftermarket heatsink as the stock Intel one is GARBAGE; either something with a PWM enabled fan or just a quiet one like the Noctua's would be great. Get some more Noctua fans for the case too. You can get 16gb of low voltage ddr3 1600 ram for $80 or so (again overkill) and a 60gb SSD for $60 after rebates: Patriot Pyro on newegg.

SSD is a good call. Once you get your OS and game installed on SSD you'll realize the HDD lag you've been experiencing.

Fans, yup, fans. I think I have five chasis fans alone, two on my video card, one or two on my power supply, and of course one on top of the heat sink for my chip. So quiet these days though and under full load the temps are insanely low.

Speaking of power, make sure to get plenty.

On a personally sad note, I decided this weekend I don't even have the couple of hours twice a week to schedule my WoW raids. A few things up here and my schedule is going to be even more full and also a bit unpredictable. I'm going to log on tonight and step down as my guild's MT. :(

Last edited:

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pio, have you or are you going to try SWTOR?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No, I have not. I think I will be hanging up my gaming spurs for several months.

Brave man. I haven't actively played a game in a while, but I've got the itch. I'm hoping D3 will soothe it for a few months at least.

I wish I knew a good programmer 'cause I'd just make my own MMO. It'd be better than 99% of the trash that's out there right now :slayer:

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No, I have not. I think I will be hanging up my gaming spurs for several months.

I find that I have a rather inverse relationship with time in front of the computer and how nice the weather is. It takes a ton of time to get my golf game dialed in (2-3 weeks for my driver alone) and then cycling is one of my other warm weather hobbies. Both tend to take a lot of time.

Last edited:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks. I'm in the middle of a move, so configuring a PC is on the back burner for now, but I will definitely hit you back up for some guidance.

Kajak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I loved D2 but hated WOW - I'd spend like 2-3 hours on WOW and level up a bit but I didn't feel like I'd have been having fun at all. It was nice for a month or two to have an activity my brother and I could share (since I had moved out) and it just consumed time like nothing else. They've really managed to attenuate the game to reward psychology - it keeps you just rewarded enough to keep playing but I couldn't say I enjoyed it.

D2 was more fun for some reason, but I can't put my finger on it, so I hope D3 follows in its footsteps.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

I loved D2 but hated WOW - I'd spend like 2-3 hours on WOW and level up a bit but I didn't feel like I'd have been having fun at all. It was nice for a month or two to have an activity my brother and I could share (since I had moved out) and it just consumed time like nothing else. They've really managed to attenuate the game to reward psychology - it keeps you just rewarded enough to keep playing but I couldn't say I enjoyed it.

D2 was more fun for some reason, but I can't put my finger on it, so I hope D3 follows in its footsteps.

Did you do any end game raids or dungeons? If not, you didn't really experience what WoW has to offer. End game 25 man heoric is a completely different world than leveling up a toon.

I got on Vent and stepped down as guild's MT last night. :(

Last edited:

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did you do any end game raids or dungeons? If not, you didn't really experience what WoW has to offer. End game 25 man heoric is a completely different world than leveling up a toon.
I got on Vent and stepped down as guild's MT last night. :(

Sad about stepping down as the MT (huge role as you well know) and all that, but it's good to know that you have priorities irl which will always trump a game, even if it does affect your guildmates.

40 man raids (when in a legit guild) were pretty epic. The 25 man raids never felt quite as hectic and exhilarating (LOL) to me.

Grinding was one of my favorite things, tbh. Blast some tunes or mess around with guildies on Vent while farming for rep or gold was a favorite. The occasional PvP kept things interesting too. Nothing like owning some fools and having them call their punk guildies on you then wiping the floor with them with just 3 of your own.

Last edited:

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
25's had some hectic moments....Sunwell was plenty hectic.

Most satisfying 25 kills for me were pre-nerf M'uru and pre-nerf heroic Mimiron.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

25's had some hectic moments....Sunwell was plenty hectic.
Most satisfying 25 kills for me were pre-nerf M'uru and pre-nerf heroic Mimiron.

I never got to Sunwell, I quit a few months after the those Bug raids were added (damn, why can't I remember the name?) and then picked up again with a brand new character after BC came out. Gave my old rogue to my brother. Most of my big raids were MC and BWL.

My brother sold that account after he got both of the Twin Blades of Azzinoth (his guild was within the first 10-20 or so in the world to take down Illidan I think).

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I end school 2 days before d3 is out, ye!

You basically had to grind in WoW. In D2 it was really optional; you didn't need uber items for many common builds (**** you could finish the game naked with a summoning necromancer) or insanely high levels to make progress in the game.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You basically had to grind in WoW. In D2 it was really optional; you didn't need uber items for many common builds (**** you could finish the game naked with a summoning necromancer) or insanely high levels to make progress in the game.

Beating hell Baal was pretty easy but, IMO, it's pretty difficult to get anni's and torch's from the Ubers unless you have nearly perfect gear

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads