• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Diablo III / 3

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had two computers from Alienware. The last of which I got about 6 years ago. Relative to other companies who make gaming PCs, it wasn't that expensive.

I think Alienware has that overpriced/crappy reputation because it was the first company that became really popular specializing in gaming PCs when most PC gamers would pride themselves in building their own and having to tweek/upgrade so often. It's just leftover sentiment from when PC gaming was dominated by snark and elitism. Check out their site.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I have D3 coming for free due to my WoW account (paid up for a year and it's free along with cool mount in WoW). I played D1 but totally skipped D2. Does D3 have a persistent world and guilds like WoW?

Btw, Frog, www.newegg.com and you can build a killer machine for 1k or so. I did last year and just love the machine I built. I run WoW with all settings on ultra and it's smooth as hell.

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have D3 coming for free due to my WoW account (paid up for a year and it's free along with cool mount in WoW). I played D1 but totally skipped D2. Does D3 have a persistent world and guilds like WoW?
Btw, Frog, www.newegg.com and you can build a killer machine for 1k or so. I did last year and just love the machine I built. I run WoW with all settings on ultra and it's smooth as hell.

I believe there are guilds, or clans, but it's not a persistent world. The world resets every time you start a new game, but Blizzard said they made D3 so there won't be as much of a need to quit and start a new game to repeat quests or kills every 5 mins.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

I believe there are guilds, or clans, but it's not a persistent world. The world resets every time you start a new game, but Blizzard said they made D3 so there won't be as much of a need to quit and start a new game to repeat quests or kills every 5 mins.

Huh. I like persistent worlds.

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Me too. One of my biggest gripes with the Diablo franchise. But they would have had to change a ton to make it a consistent world, and it would have basically turned into an MMO (not a bad thing). One of the reasons I'm looking forward to Diablo is I'll be able to log on for 30 mins and actually do something valuable instead of just traveling to a different town or a new dungeon.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Me too. One of my biggest gripes with the Diablo franchise. But they would have had to change a ton to make it a consistent world, and it would have basically turned into an MMO (not a bad thing). One of the reasons I'm looking forward to Diablo is I'll be able to log on for 30 mins and actually do something valuable instead of just traveling to a different town or a new dungeon.

WoW today is not EQ of 1999. You can actually run an heroic dungeon with a good group in 30 minutes. With persistent raids you could actually do them in 30 minute stretches. We do a two hour run on Tuesdays (these days that's clearing the all the way up to Spine in DS) and then up to three hours to finish the clear on Thursdays.

EQ was a ***** of a time sink.

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

WoW today is not EQ of 1999. You can actually run an heroic dungeon with a good group in 30 minutes. With persistent raids you could actually do them in 30 minute stretches. We do a two hour run on Tuesdays (these days that's clearing the all the way up to Spine in DS) and then up to three hours to finish the clear on Thursdays.

Yeah, but you have to spend a lot of time to get up to that level. I love MMOs, not WoW in particular, but it's always good to have a game that doesn't require such a time commitment.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Yeah, but you have to spend a lot of time to get up to that level. I love MMOs, not WoW in particular, but it's always good to have a game that doesn't require such a time commitment.

At one time this was true. Getting a toon end game ready in EQ was a *****. I started back at WoW last year and it took me about 4-5 weeks of casual play to have my brand new pally tanking end game content. In EQ to go from nothing to end game was months of dedicated play.

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

At one time this was true. Getting a toon end game ready in EQ was a *****. I started back at WoW last year and it took me about 4-5 weeks of casual play to have my brand new pally tanking end game content. In EQ to go from nothing to end game was months of dedicated play.

That's not too bad. And yeah, you're spot on about EQ. I remember I played with a couple cousins when I was younger, and stayed up for like 36 hours camping this one mob to get a component for a key to enter a dungeon in (I think) Kunark that we went to once, wiped, and never went back.

I wish there was a modern MMO out that I enjoyed, but I've tried WoW, Rift, EVE, and LoTRO (and others I can't think of) and didn't last longer than a month or two. I miss the days of EQ, DAoC, UO. IMO, that was the "Golden Age" of MMOs.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I am in 100% agreement that was the golden age of MMOs. However, I am happy with the fact WoW's dungeons are all instanced and can be saved. It lets people do end game by being good not by having the ability to play a game 18 hours a day.

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I re-upped WoW for a bit and I couldn't believe how easy they made the LFR difficulty. I literally alt tab and browse forums on every boss.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

I re-upped WoW for a bit and I couldn't believe how easy they made the LFR difficulty. I literally alt tab and browse forums on every boss.

You must be dps. :laugh:

Agreed though, it's stupid easy. Even on 10 man it's pretty easy. Should not be able to clear five bosses in two hours.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
oh man.. there's so much new **** to learn about if i want to build my own computer.

oh well, i get intensely passionate about mini projects like this so it could be fun.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

oh man.. there's so much new **** to learn about if i want to build my own computer.

oh well, i get intensely passionate about mini projects like this so it could be fun.

Yeah, building a modern computer can be tough for a guy your age.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads