• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Details magazine's anti-db rant

mano

Reaction score
DB suits, like any other garment, will look good on a particular person if it is made well and fits correctly. I'd never given DB a second thought until I bought one for one reason only: it was a great deal on a Brioni (navy 6x2 buttons) for around $265, new and unaltered. I had no idea it made a fashion statement one way or the other. I just knew I looked pretty good in it. Accordingly, I wore it as often as I wore any of my other suits, but looking back, I probably wore it when I shouldn't have.

After reading this board, and AA, I am more discriminating when I wear it.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
I concur think that Details missed the point.  A DB suit can look good on a anyone, provided that it is well fitting - i.e. an ill fitting DB suit is much less forgiving than an ill fitting SB.  Personally, I like the SB more because it is accentuates the vertical more than does the DB, and if you don't do up the buttons, you can come off more James Bond and less David Letterman.
That's another thing: the writer said David Letterman looks fine in his DB suit (and I'm assuming he's seen them unbuttoned). No, sir, no he does not.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I mentioned that it was OK to wear whatever BRANDS that you liked, as long as you wore a basic color like charcoal or navy.

This individual was attired in a BLACK db suit (the interview was at 11 AM but regardless) and a bright red/blue paisley tie, never mind the other factors, that's not appropriate interview attire in my book, which wouldn't necessarily rule someone out if there weren't other qualified candidates, but if there are similar candidates that can dress appropriately (by my standards) why not go with them?

An interview is a situation where you should look your best, if that was his best, would I really want him representing my company to clients? Not really.

Put it this way, if I was scoring the interview on points, he got -500 to start with, a big hole that he would need to impress the hell out of me to get out of, and while he was a pretty good candidate, he wasn't good enough to beat the first impression he created.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
dzzl,

Although I am not sure that I agree with your asthetics- I honestly am not sure, from you discription, that I would find a black db suit and a paisly tie in poor taste (altthough wearing a black suit to a morning job interview to me is the big sin here)- you are perfectly right to judge a person on how he dresses for a position that comes into contact with customers or is considered a line managment position.

A person should go into an interview dressed in a manner that shows that he fits the job. that includes both the expectations of the job and the culture of the company.

inglewood3

Reaction score
Guys,

There's too much history of great looking gentlemen in their DB's to be able to discount them.... as with most clothing, if properly tailored and the right piece is chosen, it can look great on most. Duke of Kent, Charles, Letterman (in the few seconds he'll ever button his jacket) are examples of elegant DB wear, but for another example, just watch Liar Liar with Jim Carey - shows how a tall, thin guy can look very sharp in a DB that isn't even spectacular, and not stuffy at all.

christian

Reaction score
dzzl,

It was your executive decision, and so you have every right to make it. But, considering that most american men wear suits with the sleeves too long, I still think that was a little harsh. Sure, dock some points, but -500. Its almost impossible for somebody to make that up.

I think black can look quite stunning, but I agree that I might not have worn a black suit to a interview. However, I have to disagree with paisley. That's an appropriate tie for business. Even John T. Molloy, corprorate america's b1tch, felt that it could be worn in a corporate setting.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think the outfit in question was inappropriate for a business setting per se, but it was definitely borderline, and IMO when you are going to an interview, you should look your best, but dress somewhat on the conservative side, as you never know what the tastes of the interviewer are, typically a navy/charcoal suit with a solid or simple patterned tie, not some bright red/blue gaudy monstrosity and a ill fitting DB suit. His outfit was reminiscent of either a mortician trying to liven things up or a professor forced to dress up for the alumni donors wearing his father's suit from the 1950s, not the look I want to foster for a young growing software company executive.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ok, for the first time in 5 years I just bought details.

what? are they f###ing joking? with the other crap they have in the magazine as fashion, who would take their ideas seriously? most of the fashion spreads they have look like something that adam ant would have worn in the early 80's.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Speaking of DB suits, what do you think about the Royal suit from The Royal Tenenbaums? I am a skinny guy but really like this one and was thinking about getting a copy some time in the future. http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=....intl=us

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads