• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Desperate need of fashion advice

AsianChump

Reaction score
I think I may have committed a grave mistake with my jeans, which I haven't realized til now.

In my jeans buying, I kept thinking how people earlier commented on how badly cut/fit my first purchase were. Now with my new levis 514s, my jeans are not crumpling/stacking on my shoes. In fact, they would literally be placed on/above the shoe. If I were to get boat shoes or loafers, it would become apparent whether or not I was wearing socks, though Converse Allstars would hide this fact. The jeans' size is 31x30

My second pair of levis 514s would present no problem. I got this one in 31x32.

Bad purchase on the first pair?

ranker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AsianChump
I think I may have committed a grave mistake with my jeans, which I haven't realized til now.

In my jeans buying, I kept thinking how people earlier commented on how badly cut/fit my first purchase were. Now with my new levis 514s, my jeans are not crumpling/stacking on my shoes. In fact, they would literally be placed on/above the shoe. If I were to get boat shoes or loafers, it would become apparent whether or not I was wearing socks, though Converse Allstars would hide this fact. The jeans' size is 31x30

Considering you're 6'1, you're on the taller side. In that case, you'll need longer jeans. The second number reflects the inseam (length of the leg). For someone you're height, you'd need at least a 32 (which is often considered an 'R) or possibly a 34 or higher ('L'). You're jeans should have one or two breaks upon hitting your shoe. It shouldn't stack on the shoe in a big pile. A tailor should be able to hem it just right. Just be sure to ask for "original hem" or else it'll look like ****.

clayton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AsianChump

so you can still wear the shorter one with the allstars
smile.gif

sii1981

Reaction score
oh man. every choice you make seem to throw up another problem for you. good luck, i hope to see a good outfit on you soon.

with your shorter 514s, it depends how short but it can still look good. boat shoes without sock could look fine. or loafers. ( i know you probably wont be trying this look but for something a bit 70s skinhead try a pair of dr.martins eight eyelets and braces,
laugh.gif
)

greenglade

Reaction score
You should try the major thrift stores (Salvation Army, Goodwill, Vincent De Paul's, AmVets) in your area for clothes. The ones near me get incredible clothes and shoes. Some department stores donate merchandise that has become a little worn from customer use. I'm a woman, but I see alot of pretty well-dressed men shopping there. I bought a Christian Dior men's belt at one the other day for a dollar. They have labels like Old Navy, J Crew, tons of Gap, American Eagle, which are all labels that cater to college kids. The average article of clothing costs $4.00. Ties and belts are usually a dollar. A winter coat might be about $10.00. It's possible to find good shoes, but it's harder than finding good clothes.

greenglade

Reaction score
I saw the picture of you in the white polo with the graphics. I don't know alot about men's clothes, but usually when the shoulder seam comes down too far (as it does on you) it makes your shoulders look rounded and therefore less athletic. Your shirt does not define your shoulders enough. ---I think it would be good to get some input from the group on where the shoulder seam should fall on your shoulder.

mintyfresh

Reaction score
Those Dr Scholls boat shoes aren't the most flattering pairs of shoes around. Check out zappos.com of piperlime.com for some options. They offer free shipping so if you don't like the ones you order, ship them back at no extra charge.

I like the All-stars in canvas.

AsianChump

Reaction score
I randomly came back here to review some of the advice that I've received and was surprised it even got a couple of more posts. So I traded in the shorter levis for something a little bit bigger. Unfortunately, 31x32 seems to be impossible to find (on my first purchase, I was able to get a pair), but was unable to find such a size for the exchange, instead, opting to get the 32x32, which is slightly looser than the 31x32. But, I'm hoping that one wash will shrink it enough to be the right size. I now currently have One fall jacket (nothing special, a solid tannish color) Three button up shirts (all of them fitting) Two pairs of levis 514s Four v-neck shirts (orange, green, white, charcoal) One white polo short sleeve One tan striped polo long sleeve No pics for now, but I'm having camera problems. I also opted to order a pair of these http://www.zappos.com/vans-authentic-core-classics-navy I've been lurking around Streetwear and Denim board, and have been receiving some advice from there too and those shoes are pretty affordable for me. Also, my friend also owns a pair of these and he's one of the most fashionable people I know (though he wears an aged/worn black one, which doesn't look too shabby. He tells me that the more "worn out" they appear, the cooler they are in the long run). I'm slowly making the transition from nerdy/poorly dressed (and ill fitting) clothing to something slightly better Overall, I probably spent around at most $325 for everything.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best advice I could give you is don't buy alot now. Lurk a ton. Don't buy into the SF groupthink too much. If you don't like desert boots, you're okay in my book.

Look at the last recent purchase page in SW. Some newb bought a whole bunch of crap that will probably be a waste of money.

AsianChump

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Punisher
The best advice I could give you is don't buy alot now. Lurk a ton. Don't buy into the SF groupthink too much. If you don't like desert boots, you're okay in my book.

Look at the last recent purchase page in SW. Some newb bought a whole bunch of crap that will probably be a waste of money.

Lol, the funny thing is that someone recommended that I buy a pair of desert boots (suede brown).

I'm slowly lurking, but I honestly really needed a slight add/change in my wardrobe. I'm pretty happy with my purchases, and I didn't buy an obscene amount. Most of the money was from jeans and undershirts, which I know for a fact I will always need, and the shoes, something pretty cliched but at least the right step in the right directions.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but you've been wearing your wardrobe for your whole life without problems until now. Think about that. If you get a good pair of denim right away that's porbably the best investment.

As far as spending, be prepared to spend more on leather stuff (shoes and jacket), it's like an investment. As long as you don't buy 46 AA tees you'll be fine haha.

AsianChump

Reaction score
I'm wearing my 32x32 today for the first time (outside of trying out the pants) and they're much looser than I would like. Like mentioned before, 31x32 barely exist (at least when I tried searching for them) and I'm wondering if there was a safe method in which I could shrink these jeans a little in order for them to fit perfectly.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
levis are sanforized, so shrinkage after a wash will be minimal. rather, they will stretch as you wear them. you should NOT have sized up imo

AsianChump

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nahneun
levis are sanforized, so shrinkage after a wash will be minimal. rather, they will stretch as you wear them. you should NOT have sized up imo

The issue was that I have the hardest time finding 31x32, and it was an exchange. If I had my receipt and everything, it would have been a different story, but I lost my receipt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads