• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Design Loakes (Jennings, Harrison)

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.pediwear.co.uk/loake/products/2400.php http://www.pediwear.co.uk/loake/products/2402.php just the suede ones. What do you guys think of these and of quality and how long would those last for if taken care of properly? I've read some of the older threads and the general complaint (besides not 1880, burn it with fire!) about Design Loakes are that the range is not Goodyear Welted. These two seem do. My budget is around the price of these shoes but maybe can be a little more flexible if given enough reason. I don't seem to like the styles in 1880 range much except maybe the Savoy but not a fan of the perforation design on the toes. If not Design Loakes then what can I get? :S

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a Loake fan but not a fan of the design range at all, too fashiony I think and the lasts are not very elegant. They are also not made in England like the 1880/Shoemaker line.

I have 2 pair of 1880 and they are very nice for the price. I wish Loake would drop the design range and add some nicer sleeker lasts at the 1880 line, not that I'm unhappy with the last that my 2 pairs are on (capital last)

The is a shoemaker range in a nice brown suede that would be nice if you are looking for something in suede

http://www.pediwear.co.uk/loake/products/109.php

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
+1

I've seen some Design Loake models in person, and they look, well, fugly. I don't know what you plan to wear them for, but I would think distressed leather wouldn't look good with a suit.

I'll echo the above poster and say some designs in the Shoemaker range are worth a look (and they're goodyear welted). Check out the Aberdeen or the MCQueen on Pediwear, and you'll see they resemble the Harrison if that's the look you want. Better shoe for your money.

I'd draw your attention to the Telford monk (which I've seen in person) - a very smart-looking shoe in a rich burnished brown colour - also selling for less than the Jennings. It would be a more versatile shoe, too.

Hope this helps,

Geoff

jnm23q

Reaction score
I had a pair of design Loakes, bought in London for GBP110

Decent leather and soles but the lining is vinyl and therefore not very breathable

I think they're the lower end of the Loake range

Having said that, I prefer them to some of the other designer cr*p peddled in the department stores here

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, gentlemen.

Those Telfords look great... though I have never worn monk straps before.
I've had a look at the shoes again, especially ones suggested on different sites (pedi, herring, SF member uploads etc) and noticed those pictures of shoes on an angle make shoes look fat and chunky.

Are the 758s the same as the Herring Readings? There is a 25GBP difference in their prices.
Saw picture posted by Sander in an old thread:
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/5663/img1326g.jpg
They look very nice.

Then I saw Star's pics.
http://users.tpg.com.au/stevanz/misc...CJ_Lowndes.jpg

Those shoes look wonderful to me. Especially the CJs where I had, as Jeremy Clarkson puts it, a crisis when I saw them. But way outside my budget.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Design Loakes are really ugly and are designed to be worn with the worst of High Street. The 1880s and Herrings are classic and timeless and if you don't think they suit you now, trust me when I say you will come to appreciate them as your tastes mature.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as I'm aware the Readings are not available anymore, well I couldn't find them on the Herring site unless I'm not looking hard enough. They are great in anycase but are different to the 758's. 758 are a brogue and the readings are a captoe and a very dark brown.

If they are available anywhere I can't see let me know.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
Now another question comes to mind brown suedes with suits?

With navy or light grey, I personally would not hesitate. Also with dark jeans.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
Oh how blind of me to not notice. I see now.
Here are the Readings on herrings.
http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...electedFitID=0
Now another question comes to mind brown suedes with suits?

Ah yeah don't know why I didn't pick that up. Maybe because it's displayed in black. They have these in stock and with the GBP exchange rate they will only be around $180 AUD, hmmm. Going to Hawaii in a month so really wanted to wait and have a look in Leathersoul first.

To your other question, fine with suits, fine with denim, fine with chino's.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads